Using Rice Hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a belgian wit this Friday. My grain bill consists of 5 lbs white wheat and 5 lbs American 2-row. I also bought a half lb of Rice hulls to go into the mash. This is my first ag brew with wheat, and I had heard that it is prone to stuck mashes. I've also heard that rice hulls can help make the grain be more resistant to stuck mashes. Here are my questions:

Am I right when i say that rice hulls will prevent stuck mashes?
Does it add any other flavors, etc?
And, most importantly . . .what is the best way to use these rice hulls?

Should I stir them into the mash? Should I try to let them sit at the bottom of the grain bed?

Any recommendations?

a) Rice hulls will help prevent stuck mashes (they basically replace the husk that wheat doesn't have but barley does).
ii) No added flavors.
3) My method is to mix them in with my grains evenly before mashing (I'm not too particular). You're going to stir your mash a fair bit anyways whilst doughing in.

Thanks! I figured that this was the case . . . but I wanted to be sure.:)

BeeGee said:
a) Rice hulls will help prevent stuck mashes (they basically replace the husk that wheat doesn't have but barley does).
ii) No added flavors.
3) My method is to mix them in with my grains evenly before mashing (I'm not too particular). You're going to stir your mash a fair bit anyways whilst doughing in.
Alright BG I call post foul! Your numbering system is illeagal! You mixed three different conventions. I'm going into symantic shock. Moderators, please please please do something to stop this rampage!

Aaaaahhhhrggrhhrreehhh!

I smell some good ole tomfoolery going on in this thread . . . . some long time board posters' inside humor, if you will. :D

Okay then, . . . carry on. . .

Chairman Cheyco said:
Alright BG I call post foul! Your numbering system is illeagal! You mixed three different conventions. I'm going into symantic shock. Moderators, please please please do something to stop this rampage!

Aaaaahhhhrggrhhrreehhh!
Hey, play nice there. He's probably a Roman American or something...

I was thinking about doing a wit with pumpkin. I heard that pumpkin can cause a stuck mash, then mixing it with wheat would be worse right? How much rice hulls does one use usually?

The most wheat I've mashed was 5.5 lbs (with 5.5lbs of barley) and I added 0.5lb rice hulls which worked fine. I'm going to go with 0.1lb rice per 1lb wheat until I screw it up and decide I need to change something.

Back