High Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodfera2

Reaction score
Hi everyone... first post here and I have a question I was hoping some of you could lend insight to.

I recently brewed a maple porter---total grain bill being 10lbs with 2lbs additional adjuncts (ie flaked oats, etc). During the last 15 minutes of my boil, I added 64oz (1/2 g) of grade B maple syrup. After my wort had cooled to 78f, my gravity reading was an astounding 1.095. Prior to my boil, I took a gravity reading which read 1.050 in about a 6.5-7 gallon solution.

I realize that the wort condensed during the boil, as it reduced in quantity and thereby raised the gravity level; however, I was still shocked by the high gravity reading. Since I was expecting a gravity reading around 1.065ish, I did not prepare a starter yeast and was worried how my yeast would do. [Note that I used a vial of White Labs Burton yeast strain].

Needless to say, fermentation started within 12 hours and is vigorous. I guess my question is this: when fermentation really slows and I have a gravity reading of say 1.050, would it be possible to add fresh yeast to re-start a fermentation?

Thanks peeps.

That OG isn't outside the working range of most ale yeasts, so you probably won't get stuck. If you do, pitch a dry wine/champaign yeast to finish.

Thanks for the responses...

Day 3 of fermentation and its going really well so far. Huge krausen. I guess we'll wait and see what the reading is when primary subsides.

Do you know how/where you could find out the specfic gravity points of various adjuncts (like maple syrup, etc)? I was able to calculate a target gravity as far as my grains go, but obviously missed a bit with the syrup.

Back