Wine Making Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
I was getting all my ingredients for my first Apfelwein. Can't wait. Then I had a thought.. Yeah I know. What about wine? White or red? I have most of the carboys...

I have 3 5 gal carboys I can certainly use that for Ed's Apfelwein.. They sold me a bucket for the wine saying it would be easier as my primary to mix and stir the additives.. Was this a good purchase. I opted to not use bottling buckets when brewing beer. Just want to make sure I made a wise choice...

I bought a Pinot Gr. kit..

Thanks..

Most wine kits make 6 US gallons of wine. Otherwise, any winemaking supplies are just like those supplies for beer except for a few chemicals you might need. Potasium metabisulfite for example is one- you can buy it as a powder or in tablet form. Tablets are easier- you use one per gallon, but more expensive. You can also use a sulfite solution for your sanitizing/rinsing of all wine utensils.

Check your instructions over carefully before starting- there is a list of equipment that you'll need and you will need more k-meta than is in the kit, too. Also, you need a corker (a hand corker is ok but a PITA) and corks and wine bottles.

Good luck!

Do some of these additives put sulfites into the wine?

Isn't that what gives some the throbbing head ache that is notorious with wine and champagne?

Thanks

Yes, sulfites are generally used in wine but it's in very small quantities.

The sulfites don't give headaches (unless someone is truly sensitive to sulfites)- that's what alot of people think, though. Overconsumption does cause those headaches, though!

Back