dishwasher pasteurize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainfester

Master of the Seas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hey i post this in a couple of threads but no reply.

i am making the 5 day cider, going to bottle carb as per the instructions.

i want to pasuerize by the dishwasher. i know mine gets to at least 150 degrees F as per the manual.

however there is no way to just run the hot cycle. it has to run the entire cycle.

will the cider be effected by being in the cycle the whole time? it could result in a long time of regular water temp. abt 60 degrees im sure this wont effect.

but what if it is heated to 150 for 30-40-50 minutes?

will the cider taste funny?

Can't you just open the door when the hot, or sanitize cycle starts, and then pop the bottles in then? That's how my dishwasher worked.

why wouldnt you just run it through whole cycle ... like he asked 30 40 or 50 min. will it hurt

To answer the original question it should not be an issue. Heat is one of the ways commercial wine makers artificially age their wines (cider being a subcategory of wine) SOOOOO running them through the full cycle will have some of the same effects that aging will, not a bad thing. You are not boiling it so there shouldn't be any "cooking" going thus it won't impart a cooked flavor and the bottles will be sealed so nothing can escape. In other words there should be no loss of flavor. I think it should work just fine with no negative effects and maybe a few positive effects.

Just be careful!!! I had the same idea. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I had let my cider carb up. What I didn't realize is I let it carb up too much. I was new to brewing and cider making and didn't realize cider doesn't really stop carbing up until all the fermentables are gone, the temp suspends the yeast activity or you chemically kill it.

Soooo, to make a long story short I loaded my DW with a batch of bottled cider and sat quietly watching TV while the cycle ran. Then I started hearing these little pops. And I started to smell apple juice! ah hell... l opened my DW and saw that 7 bottles had exploded. Being a total ******* I quickly unloaded them by HAND and set them in the garage...3 more exploded as soon as I sat the crate down. When it was all said and done I had 24 bottles out of a 48 bottle batch left. Live and learn...

Just be careful when carbing cider and then trying to pasteurize it. I didn't have much success and nearly ruined my dishwasher LOL Luckily SWMBO was cool about it.

Back