Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still a newbie, only 6-7 batches of extract brewing under my belt. I purchased the Pliney extract kit from MoreBeer. Airlock activity had stopped, never had much(I use a 6.5 gallon bucket), and wanted to see how things were going after 12 days in primary. I opened it up and I could still see the yeast working their magic. At that point I was unsure to test or just out the lid back on and ignore it for a few more days. Well I decided to test it and it was at 1.020 which gave me an abv of 8%. With the beer at its target FG, this is where I was torn as to what to do. Do I let it sit in primary longer or transfer it now so I don't expose it to oxygen again a few days later. I decided to transfer it and within minutes of sealing it up, the airlock was going. What would other people have done here?

Also tried the sample from the hydrometer, wow! Best beer I have made to date. Uncarbonated, unfinished, and not dry hopped and it tasted amazing.

Personally, I just keep mine in the fermenting bucket the whole time. There are mixed views on this, but I have found that, for the most part, with most of the beers I brew, transferring to secondary seems to be an unnecessary step. I just take a hydrometer reading after about 7 days and then take another reading the next day. If it's the same reading, it's ready for dry hopping. :mug:

Idk about same bucket..although I do one bucket for my stouts..this pliney clone right now is got mad fermentation going on..im surprised I haven blown the lid off my pail even with the blow off tube..hehe..wow is all I can say

Idk about same bucket..although I do one bucket for my stouts..this pliney clone right now is got mad fermentation going on..im surprised I haven blown the lid off my pail even with the blow off tube..hehe..wow is all I can say

So why is it ok to leave a stout in the same bucket and not an IPA?
noidea.gif

I'm still a newbie, only 6-7 batches of extract brewing under my belt. I purchased the Pliney extract kit from MoreBeer. Airlock activity had stopped, never had much(I use a 6.5 gallon bucket), and wanted to see how things were going after 12 days in primary. I opened it up and I could still see the yeast working their magic. At that point I was unsure to test or just out the lid back on and ignore it for a few more days. Well I decided to test it and it was at 1.020 which gave me an abv of 8%. With the beer at its target FG, this is where I was torn as to what to do. Do I let it sit in primary longer or transfer it now so I don't expose it to oxygen again a few days later. I decided to transfer it and within minutes of sealing it up, the airlock was going. What would other people have done here?

Also tried the sample from the hydrometer, wow! Best beer I have made to date. Uncarbonated, unfinished, and not dry hopped and it tasted amazing.

You're going to introduce way more oxygen from racking it to another vessel than you will from opening the lid really quick. Unless you're going to be bulk aging a beer for an extended period of time (like 4+ months) without any wild yeast or souring bacteria involved, you'll not want to rack to secondary. There really isn't any benefit to it, and besides, the potential for contamination and oxidation jumps dramatically.

You're going to introduce way more oxygen from racking it to another vessel than you will from opening the lid really quick. Unless you're going to be bulk aging a beer for an extended period of time (like 4+ months) without any wild yeast or souring bacteria involved, you'll not want to rack to secondary. There really isn't any benefit to it, and besides, the potential for contamination and oxidation jumps dramatically.

Im gonna rack to the secondary for a few reasons..im a noob and lack the forethought of hop bags and this brew has almost 12 ounces of hopps..so I want to dry hop in the secondary then rack into a keg..im not worried about oxidation..I intend to purge my secondary with a nice blast of CO2 and ive got a brand new racking cane so as long as I over sterilize things this should be good.

I plugged this into Beersmith2 and it shows 245 IBUs????

(Actually, I doubled it to 10 gallons and entered in the doubled recipe, but it's the same thing).

Does that seem right??

I plugged this into Beersmith2 and it shows 245 IBUs????

(Actually, I doubled it to 10 gallons and entered in the doubled recipe, but it's the same thing).

Does that seem right??

In a round about way yes..keep in mind your tongue cant detect over 200 ibu.. I dont know how accurate beersmith is on this one..because how do you accurately can you judge the ibu of those two hop shots in the northern brewer kit.

i kegged this over the weekend. the sample i took was way too bitter for my tastes but I think will be perfect in a few weeks when carbed. The citrusy notes are amazing and the high alcohol is subtle.

Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this forum. It takes a while to digest all the information. I'm planning to try a clone at this and tried to suck in all the information I could about this recipe and others' experiences. I'll chime back in when I can do a comparison, but in the mean time here is my summary of the the PTE recipe on my own little blog page.

Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this forum. It takes a while to digest all the information. I'm planning to try a clone at this and tried to suck in all the information I could about this recipe and others' experiences. I'll chime back in when I can do a comparison, but in the mean time here is my summary of the the PTE recipe on my own little blog page.

Good read!!! My kit (plinian legacy from northern brewer) used the Amarillo as fwh..

So, ya... We made a loosely modded version of this and another Pliny clone. Named it "Pliny the Bro" (lol).

Just went to secondary... Can't wait to give it a taste!

Well, my 3rd Pliny completed and kegged. Unfortunately, I think my newly bought bulk hops are old. No where near the aroma and flavor as the other 2. Fortunately, got buddies who don't care and will help empty keg for another attempt.

Grats!!! Mine had come out everything I hoped for..this is great beer..I must brew this again..but I need more primaries. .geesh..so many beers..so little time

It would appear that I stumbled upon this particular forum in it's infancy.

The layout and functionality works great for me.

The obvious lack of members is to be expected.

Maybe you could hit up strange brewer for some addies I know he is regular at the HBD. and could drag a few over here especially since it is down.

Good luck

KD

Any additional water conditioning?

Don't know what to think of this. Took samples of PTE clone and Ten Fidy clone to local HB supplier/brewer for critique. TF, I knew was awesome, but after some sampling he explained this was the best PTE clone he has had. Bit more malty would have made it perfect. I'm looking for more aroma, but what do I know. Only had one PTE about 6 months ago.

I want to brew this recipe, but my water is only 15ppm sulfate; 4ppm Chloride.
Will it be any good with sulfate this low? I don't have anything to raise it right now.

Well, my 3rd Pliny completed and kegged. Unfortunately, I think my newly bought bulk hops are old. No where near the aroma and flavor as the other 2. Fortunately, got buddies who don't care and will help empty keg for another attempt.

After 3 weeks in keg, it's now absolutely perfect. The extreme bitterness subsided letting flavors come through. Floral/ tropical aroma and flavors are abound. Wow!! Feeling like a freaking home brewer...chest pump.

Will it be any good with sulfate this low? I don't have anything to raise it right now.

The interesting thing about sulfate is you can actually add it at any time, and it still has a similar effect.. Even after fermentation.

I've also brewed many ipas with low sulfate water.. Not the same as with sulfate, but I still like them!

Go for it man! Try downloading Ez water calc...its free. You can order gypsum, calcium chloride, lactic acid from HB supply stores. I got Epsom salt and baking soda from the store. All this will help condition your water properly, cheep. With that said, my first Pliny was ads straight tap and came out great.

I feel the need to post on this, although I'm still a pretty new brewer.

Brewed this BIAB, 60 minute boil as opposed to 90. No transfer to secondary although we used the dry hop scheduled outlined in the first post.

It is by far the best brew we've made (and none have been bad, most have been quite good). I like it at least as much as the real thing if not better.

OK, I brewed this but added amarillo as per some other research that I did on the recipe. Kegged it a few days ago. We (my wife and I) went to Russian River Brewing last weekend and picked up a coouple twelvers of the original PTE. In the past few days we have been enjoying the real PTE to get a good feeling for the taste/aroma/feel.
Tonight we tapped the keg of this clone and did a blind taste test with the real thing and the clone and the results are in...The taste/aroma/feel are EXACTLY the same! the only difference that we noticed, and we both noticed it, was that one of the two was a little more bitter than the other. Other than that, I would say that this recipe is a slam dunk.
Mine was the more bitter one, but I truly believe that another week in the keg will bring them down to the same percieved bitterness.
Amazing beer, whether it be the real thing or this clone. Gotta get the water profile right though!

OK, I brewed this but added amarillo as per some other research that I did on the recipe. Kegged it a few days ago. We (my wife and I) went to Russian River Brewing last weekend and picked up a coouple twelvers of the original PTE. In the past few days we have been enjoying the real PTE to get a good feeling for the taste/aroma/feel.
Tonight we tapped the keg of this clone and did a blind taste test with the real thing and the clone and the results are in...The taste/aroma/feel are EXACTLY the same! the only difference that we noticed, and we both noticed it, was that one of the two was a little more bitter than the other. Other than that, I would say that this recipe is a slam dunk.
Mine was the more bitter one, but I truly believe that another week in the keg will bring them down to the same percieved bitterness.
Amazing beer, whether it be the real thing or this clone. Gotta get the water profile right though!

care to share your changes and water profile??
mine is in the keg just over 2 weeks and the bitterness is slowly falling off i think if im brewing it again ill use a hop shot and cut the IBU's in the 90 minute addition. the first time i brewed this i followed the recipe but done a hop stand for 20 minutes at flame out and the bitterness was of the chart(350 theoretical IBU's), the flavour and aroma was amazing tho so i may even try cutting the 90 minute addition and making up for the IBU's with a hop stand

care to share your changes and water profile??
mine is in the keg just over 2 weeks and the bitterness is slowly falling off i think if im brewing it again ill use a hop shot and cut the IBU's in the 90 minute addition. the first time i brewed this i followed the recipe but done a hop stand for 20 minutes at flame out and the bitterness was of the chart(350 theoretical IBU's), the flavour and aroma was amazing tho so i may even try cutting the 90 minute addition and making up for the IBU's with a hop stand

I'd love to share my water recipe,
All RO water - Mash
1.8 grams/gallon - Gypsum
0.2 grams/gallon - Baking Soda
0.5 grams/gallon - CaCl
0.2 grams/gallon - Calcium Carbonate
All RO water sparge (fly sparge) No additions

Added 2 tsp Gypsum to the boil (10 minutes)

Here's the recipe that I used:
2000ml starter with 250ml high viability slurry from a previous batch (washed 1056)
13.5# pale malt
6oz Crystal 35
10 oz. Carapils
MASH AT 149*
12oz. Dextros (15 Min. boil w/ 1 whirlfloc)
3.5 Columbus 90 min.
0.75 Columbus 45 min.
1.0 Simcoe 30 min.
1.o Centennial Flame out
2.5 Simcoe Flame out
1.0 Amarillo Flame out
Whirlpool 20 minutes
Primary 14 days, then,
1oz each DH all four hops 14 days
0.25oz each DH all four hops 7 days
28 days total

OG 1.078 (oops!)
FG 1.008
ABV 9.18% (oops again!)

Absolutely no alchohol burn, even after warming.

I brewed a second batch with a little different water profile, we will see how it works. (1.068 SG this time, 1.078 is too high)

Here's the recipe that I used:
2000ml starter with 250ml high viability slurry from a previous batch (washed 1056)
13.5# pale malt
6oz Crystal 35
10 oz. Carapils
MASH AT 149*
12oz. Dextros (15 Min. boil w/ 1 whirlfloc)
3.5 Columbus 90 min.
0.75 Columbus 45 min.
1.0 Simcoe 30 min.
1.o Centennial Flame out
2.5 Simcoe Flame out
1.0 Amarillo Flame out
Whirlpool 20 minutes
Primary 14 days, then,
1oz each DH all four hops 14 days
0.25oz each DH all four hops 7 days
28 days total

OG 1.078 (oops!)
FG 1.008
ABV 9.18% (oops again!)

Absolutely no alchohol burn, even after warming.

I brewed a second batch with a little different water profile, we will see how it works. (1.068 SG this time, 1.078 is too high)

thanks for that ill give it a go next time i think

I brewed my second partial mash version of PtE just over six weeks ago. I used a secondary for dry hopping (and made some hop substitutions), bottled at 4 weeks and just had a couple samples yesterday as they hit the two week mark in bottles. Wow! Way better than my first attempt!
Steeped 9oz Chrystal40 and 9oz Carapils for 30 min with starting temp at 155, ending at 165.
Added approx 5lbs Light LME, brought to a boil.
90 min- 3.5oz Columbus
45 min .75oz Cloumbus
30 min 10z Simcoe
0 min 1oz Simcoe, 1oz Centennial, 1.5oz Cascade, Also remainder of LME + 12oz corn sugar
3 Gallon boil, topped off during boil with hot water from a kettle.
Dry hopped at 2 weeks with .5oz Amarillo, 1oz Columbus and 1oz Cascade.
8 days later 2oz Cascade and bottled 5 days later.

OG- 1.070 / FG - 1.012

I'll be brewing this again very soon.

Cheers,
d
FWIW, I attribute the improvement to process improvements rather than the hop substitutions

This is not my recipe, i found it on the internet, supposly its Vinnie from Russian River homebrew recipe for PTE. Either way, its a tried and proven recipe, ive brewed it before, and its one of th best beers ive brewed, it should be the database.

12 pounds 2row
8oz Crystal 45 malt
8oz Carapils malt
12oz corn sugar added to boil

3.5oz Columbus hops @ 90 minutes
.75oz Columbus hops @ 45 minutes
1oz Simcoe hops @ 30 minutes
1oz Centennial hops @ 0 minutes
2.5oz Simcoe hops @ 0 minutes

1oz Columbus dryhop
1oz Simcoe dryhop
1oz Centennial dryhop

add an additional .25 columbus, .25 simcoe, and .25 oz of cententennial to the dryhop after a week of adding the first dryhop addition

mash approx 151F for 60minutes

us05 yeast

Ok Im going to try this soon. But my confusion is 14 day dry hop and additions to dry hop after a week? in my experience you don't want to leave hops in for more than 7 days so maybe this should read remove first addition and add the 2nd addition of dry hops. IMO I read through the thread and found some posts about grassy flavors, wouldn't dry hopping for that long be the main factor in this?
am I over thinking this?

Ok Im going to try this soon. But my confusion is 14 day dry hop and additions to dry hop after a week? in my experience you don't want to leave hops in for more than 7 days so maybe this should read remove first addition and add the 2nd addition of dry hops. IMO I read through the thread and found some posts about grassy flavors, wouldn't dry hopping for that long be the main factor in this?
am I over thinking this?

For me, I always dry hop using hop pellets and hop socks for all my IPA's. For this recipe, I do the first dry hop for 5-7 days and then I remove those hops and then I add the 2nd dry hop for an additional 5-7 days...

I brewed an extract/steeped grain version of this again last week and we're approaching the first dry-hop but, after a trip to the LHBS, I'm adhering a bit closer to the original hop schedule for comparison. I'll have to rely on memory to judge the difference as I only have 1 bomber left of the last batch and it isn't long for this world... I love this beer, it's gonna be a long 4-5 weeks.

Sinc,
d

If your interested, the RRB 2014 recipe was posted on another thread in the last couple of days

Back