Shiner Bock clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy it. I have made it 4-5 times. It is a VERY easy kit. For example the extract kit has a small steep and very simple malt additions.

I just got the kit. I brew it tomorrow. I'm a little concerned as it seems like they missed some ingredients. 2 row and flaked corn alone are not going to make a Texas Bock, IMHO.

There aren't any dark grains in there? :confused:

I made it once (wasn't real impressed with the result, but that may have been my fault as I was new to all-grain at the time). I seem to remember that all of the color came from a Maltoferm addition (essentially really dark DME) late in the boil, rather than grains. Allegedly this is how the Spoetzl brewery does it as well.

Yeah. They sent a maltoferm capsule. I went my LHBS and picked up some Munich, Barley, 6 row and 60L. Impressively (or luckily) after I winged it with the added grains and amounts I was dead on the Shiner Bock IBU of 13 and SRM of 18.

Back