No Krausen Wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treekiller

A tree is never safe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever experience no krausen using Wyeast 1007? Last time I used that yeast I had about six inches of real rocky head, this time absolutly none. I pitched onto a cake from prior batch and had a Very active fermentation (with both batches) but no krausen at all. Neither batch had any kind of foam. Both batches seem fine, no detectible off flavors or signs of contaimination/infection.

I've had good ferments without a krausen, although I haven't use 1007. I have a starter of London Ale yeast working and no krausen. It will be interesting to see if the porter it goes into forms a krausen or not. I'd suspect too many oils or possibly the style just doesn't form much head.

the one time i used 1007 was with a dusseldorf altbier which i kept at 60F during the entire ferment. there was NO foam at all ... i racked it after 9 days and hit the final gravity exactly. the beer was so good i entered it in a competition and got first place in the "hybrid ales" category. this is good stuff.

Thanks for the replies folks. I was not to worried as the first batch tasted splendid when I transferred it to the secondary and there was no signs of contamination/infection. Just seemed weird that a yeast that supposedly produces a large rocky head would have none what so ever. I weren't scared, really I weren't.:D

Back