adding flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jereme

Reaction score
if i'm going to add a dried sweet orange extract to my brew at what point would i apply it to the boil?
thanks

When you say dried sweet orange extract do you mean dried sweet orange peels or an actual powder that you will not be removing from the brew? When adding flavorings to the beer that you will remove such as peels or things like 'grains of paradise' and other citrus you add them in for the last 3 to 7 minutes of the boil depending on the flavor you are going for. I tell people to think of what they add to their beer the same way you think of brewing a cup of hot tea--leave the leaves in too long and you are left with an acrid bitter tea.

I would make a "tea" with them, cool and add after primary fermentation is done to maximize the flavor.

I've never thought of doing that...sounds like a good idea. This will also allow me to decide that i do/don't want citrus after tasting the brew post-primary fermentation.

Back