These Movies Rock: Night Watch & Day Watch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
So, I work with these Russian girls. Spoiler: This story does not end how you are imagining it to.

They are way smarter than me and totally make our entire org look great, all the time. Both of them moved to the U.S. and naturalized with their parents during the 80's. Their families fled Russia because of various reasons. We don't really get into it but I take that things got really unsafe for awhile after Communism fell. Both moved to the U.S. without knowing English, then learned the language and graduated with 4 yr Accounting degrees. To me, that's levitation, holmes. Drop me in a foreign country and I'd be screwed for sure.

Anyway, one of them told me about this Russian movie that was released that was kind of like the Matrix. I think I was yakking about it in a meeting or something. So, a couple of weeks ago I downloaded this movie to my Iphone, so I could watch it on an airplane. I was expecting a good plotline, with really, really awful SFX. In my head I pictured Ed Wood type stuff, with visible strings and whatnot.

Well, of course I'm jackass Westerner, assuming that everywhere else in the world is running on swamp coolers and diesel. NIGHT WATCH was the name of the movie, and it's the best Sci Fi/Action film I've seen since The Matrix. Apparently it's the film version of a very popular Russian comic book - and it's a trilogy. Day Watch is the second installment. They are working on part 3 right now.

Anyway - if you like Sci Fi/Action films and can deal with subtitles, check it out. It's really good stuff.

Part one - Night Watch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(2004_film)

Part two - Day Watch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Watch

They're based on a novel series. My wife has read the first two books. The movie Night Watch is based on about the first third of the book Night Watch with some changes, and the movie Day Watch is kind of mixed from the remaining parts of Night Watch (novel) and Day Watch (novel) as well as just being kind of made up from whole cloth and "where did that even come from?". There is at least one other book in the series, called Twilight Watch. (The "gloom", as translated in the movie, is translated as "twilight" in the books.)

The most obvious changes in Night Watch is that the kid is not related to Anton in the book, and he remains unaffiliated with either side (although he works with Dark others more often than Light). Also, a lot was cut for the US release for some reason.

They give the impression that Boris Ivanovich and Zabulon are the leaders of the whole light and dark sides in the movie Night Watch, but they at least kind of mitigate that in the second movie by having the Inquisition show up and show that those guys aren't all-powerful. They're really nothing more than mid-level managers of their particular territory.

From what I've been told about it, the light and dark others seem to be less good and evil and more law and chaos. Light others are typically lawful good to lawful neutral, while dark others are chaotic evil to chaotic neutral. Anton doesn't really fit into the world, as he's Light but acts chaotic good.

They're based on a novel series. My wife has read the first two books. The movie Night Watch is based on about the first third of the book Night Watch with some changes, and the movie Day Watch is kind of mixed from the remaining parts of Night Watch (novel) and Day Watch (novel). There is at least one other book in the series, called Twilight Watch. (The "gloom", as translated in the movie, is translated as "twilight" in the books.)

The most obvvios changes in Night Watch is that the kid is not related to Anton in the book, and he remains unaffiliated with either side (although he works with Dark others more often than Light). Also, a lot was cut for the US release for some reason.

They give the impression that Boris Ivanovich and Zabulon are the leaders of the whole light and dark sides in the movie Night Watch, but they at least kind of mitigate that in the second movie by having the Inquisition show up and show that those guys aren't all-powerful. They're really nothing more than mid-level managers of their particular territory.

From what I've been told about it, the light and dark others seem to be less good and evil and more law and chaos. Light others are typically lawful good to lawful neutral, whjile dark others are chaotic evil to chaotic neutral. Anton doesn't really fit into the world, as he's Light but acts chaotic good.

I've seen the books in stores....are they translated from Russian?

So you work with these Russian girls... and that's the best you can do? Talk to them about movies and books. You should be ashamed. :)

No Zombies = Fail. :D

I'm waiting for WWZ. Brad Pitt is producing it.

Oh, and if you guys haven't read the graphic novel series "The Walking Dead", you are useless to humanity.

So you work with these Russian girls... and that's the best you can do? Talk to them about movies and books. You should be ashamed. :)

Let's see how some creative editing will work...(dots indicate removed words, bold indicates added)

So, I work with these Russian girls.... This story does...end how you are imagine it to.

They...way... make out ...all the time.... They... really get into it...Both moved to the U.S. ...To...screw for sure.

Anyway, one of them ...in a meeting...told me... a couple of weeks ago I ... could watch ... I was expecting ... real...SEX. I... h...ad... Wood..., ...visible ...and whatnot.

Well, of course I'm jackass Wuss...everywhere else in the world is ... cooler ... it's the best Sex I've had since...Mat..the... very popular Russian... and ...W...e...are working on...a...3some right now.

way - if you like...can deal with...chicks...It's really good stuff...that's levitation, holmes.

How's this????:D

(My apologies to Blacklab for implying he had a thing with "mat the very popular russian" but there wasn't a lot I could do with that paragraph.)

No Zombies = Fail. :D

I'm waiting for WWZ. Brad Pitt is producing it.

Oh, and if you guys haven't read the graphic novel series "The Walking Dead", you are useless to humanity.

Anton's neighbors in Night/Day Watch are vampires (low Dark others), but that's about as close you get to zombies in it.

Night/Day Watch muddle the line between good and evil quite a bit. some of what the Light side (the Night Watch) does isn't particulary good, per se, and some of the Dark others (the Day Watch) aren't really evil. The vampire kid tries his best to not do evil things, like drinking human blood, even though it's in his nature to do so.

"Low" Dark others, those that aren't naturally mages but were instead forced into being Others, like vampires, are not well regarded by either side. They had no free choice and are instead Dark by default.

Others are simply those with powers who can enter the "gloom/twilight", which is where their power originates from. It's kind of like an astral plane that saps your strength when you enter it. Upon entering the gloom for the first time, a natural Other has to make a choice between Light or Dark, but the super-powered kid in the novels/movies is an exception as he somehow makes it out without choosing a side.

The whole concept is that Light and Dark are balancing forces that have a truce to prevent the destruction of either side. The Night Watch watches the Darks to make sure that any evil act is in turn balanced by a good one, and vice versa for the Day Watch. The Inquisition maintains the balance between the sides, and "licenses" are issued for committing acts. Anyone who breaks the truce by acting without permission is severly punished.

Anton is an odd case for a Light other, as he will make deals with Darks and is reasonably friendly with them. He gets into a lot of crap because he doesn't see how the distinction really matters so much.

That being said, Boris Ivanovich and Zabulon have a mutual respect for each other and are occasionally seen hanging around together.

Yeah, I know. It's the whole 'being married' thing that keeps me from threesomes with co-workers.

For whatever reason we have a lot of Russians at my company, or people from states that used to be USSR. One thing I've noticed about the women is that they are either pretty hot, or really not hot at all. There's very little in between. Most of them have these long, long, legs that are very nice.
I've noticed the same with Hawaiian women, minus the leg aspect.

i picked up a dvd of night watch for 5 bucks at my video store. (i was stuck with buying 2 other crappy movies with it for the 3 for 15 deal though.) I've seen em both, but I definately like night watch alot better

Latest posts

Back