Mash Tun Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30CenturyMan

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been a homebrewer for about two years now and have about a dozen extract batches under my belt, but recently, I've been bit by the AG bug. I crawled around the internet and found that a mash tun can be easily made from a cooler with a valve replacement and stainless steel mesh. I went out and bought all the components and today, I attempted my first AG batch. I thought everything was going well until it was time to drain the initial strike - when I opened the valve, barely a trickle came out. After messing around for around an hour, I decided to just dump the batch and strain the grains with a colander. Could somebody clue me in as to why I'm getting such a low flow? Any help would be appreciated.

Might you have an imposter stainless braid? Some braided lines are actually plastic yet appear like the stainless ones. The plastic look alikes have been known to cause problems.

he may be talking about a stainless steel mesh similar to a window screen for the false bottom as opposed to a braid. pictures or better description are needed.

he may be talking about a stainless steel mesh similar to a window screen for the false bottom as opposed to a braid. pictures or better description are needed.

like maybe a DIY bazooka screen or something...

definitely need more details or a photo.

Back