Keg thermostat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratrules

Reaction score
quick question well my brother asked me to help him out with this. well it seems that his kegerator is not getting cold enough for his liking i think the coldest it gets is about 43. well we want to know if we install temperature controller like a Johnson controller. will we be able to make it colder?

Is the fridge's compressor actually shutting off or is it running all the time? If it isn't shutting off, there might be something wrong with the fridge itself.
If it is, then you probably could get it to go colder with a temp controller, however, you'd have to bypass the fridge's thermostat or it'll still shut off at the same temp that it does now.
Bypassing the thermostat could be a challenge also...

I think it cycles off and on. i just dont want to tell him to go out and buy something that's not going to work.

Well, like I said, it'll work. You will have to modify the electronics of the fridge though to bypass it's internal thermostat.
Whether you want to take the trouble of researching how to bypass it is up to you though. Every fridge is wired a little different, so it most likely isn't something that you can just unplug and be done with.

43 degrees seems high for the lowest setting on the fridge though, so I fear that there may be something else wrong with it.

How does he have the thermostat in the kegorator set now?? I'm using a freezer top fridge (10 cubic Whirlpool) for my kegging (hops are kept in the freezer) and it's able to get as low as I want it (easily to the low to mid 30's if I wanted). I'm aiming to keep mine in the 40F range since I like my brews at that temperature. I have sensors in the fridge, with displays outside (wireless units) to tell me what's going on inside it without needing to open the door. In fact, typically the only time I open the door is to either change a keg, or clean a line after changing a keg. I also have thermometer strips on my kegs, so I can see what the temp is inside them (or as close as I can get).

If he's adjusted the unit as low as it goes, and it's still not cooling lower, he might want to get it serviced before tossing money into controllers. If its' still under warranty (you didn't say how old it was, if he got it new or used) then it would be worth it to place a service call. I'm pretty much SOL there, since I voided the warranty when I drilled the holes for the gas bulkhead fittings. :rockin:

Back