Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, it happens to Walker all the time. You should see him brew for God's sake. Half down the driveway, pump going backwards, it's just a mess.

Yes, yes... I know. I've dumped more great beer down the driveway than you've ever made.

FYI, I'd like to go in on a sack of munich with one or two people, too.

coastwx and basisforaday.... you guys wanna split that Munich 3 ways, or are you guys all set with just a 2-way split?

Anyway you guys would want to split another sack 2 or 3 ways with me? Anyone want Wheat or MO?

I'm already getting a sack of MO for myself (and I want it all), and I rarely ever use wheat.

Then get a sack and a half and split it. you'll use it. and it will get us that much closer to 42 bags.

if we have trouble getting to 42, then I'll consider it, but I already have a half sack of MO at home, and don't really know if I want 2 sacks of it sitting around. It will take me 6 or 7 months to go through all of that.

Spreadsheet is updated. 6 more bags to go. Please, no more items other than grain. We've pushed the envelope on the pallet rate and they were nice enough to offer to stash the other items in the nooks and crannies. But we've run out of nooks and crannies!

Edit: 4 more bags to go. Please check for accuracy, Boston already found one mistake. Damnit. Now I have to try and fleece someone else.

If this goes well and we end up with more than 42 bags and can push 84 I'll split a bag of MO with someone. Also as for random stuff, I'll take a bag of rice hulls *only* if it doesn't cause a problem. Its a stupid thing to buy in the first place and if its a hassle I don't want it. Hell I don't even want to go to Durham for it so I'm actually counting on one of you dorks to pick it up for me. No such thing as a nook or cranny for a 50 pound bag of rice hulls... how big would that bag be anyway?

Too bad I don't have a loading dock, or we could just unload at my place on the 22nd.

Keep that in mind though for those south or east of the RDU area proper. I live near Clayton and only 30 minutes from Benson/Dunn so folks could arrange a pickup/drop off for that day if need be.

If this goes well and we end up with more than 42 bags and can push 84 I'll split a bag of MO with someone. Also as for random stuff, I'll take a bag of rice hulls *only* if it doesn't cause a problem. Its a stupid thing to buy in the first place and if its a hassle I don't want it. Hell I don't even want to go to Durham for it so I'm actually counting on one of you dorks to pick it up for me. No such thing as a nook or cranny for a 50 pound bag of rice hulls... how big would that bag be anyway?

Too bad I don't have a loading dock, or we could just unload at my place on the 22nd.

Keep that in mind though for those south or east of the RDU area proper. I live near Clayton and only 30 minutes from Benson/Dunn so folks could arrange a pickup/drop off for that day if need be.

No problem on the rice hulls, they said it would just replace a bag of grain on the pallet. I'm over now on 42 bags. Maybe we should let this run another week to see if we can get 2 pallets. As it stands now, shipping is exactly $100.00/pallet cheaper than the last buy, so even a partial pallet should even out. I'll update the spreadsheet tomorrow. I hate to turn anyone away.

If we do another pallet I will put in for another sack plus split a sack of MO with Idahodal. I havent even had time to look at the catalog and you guys filled up the pallet!

This thing goes quick! I'll take one more sack of 2-row Reel if we do another pallet, PM incoming!

Also, I forgot to mention that I spoke with the delivery point and we're all set there. Pickup will be in Downtown Durham.

Reel, I was thinking Best Malt dark wheat, that good with you? BZ-DWHT

I guess. Is that good for American wheat beers? Or is the color too dark? Pale wheat is about 1/4 of the lovibond of the dark.

UPDATE: Skeeordye has arranged pick-up with the brewery and they have a forklift. That means no lift-gate surcharge. Good news. Thanks Skee.

We are 7 bags shy of filling one pallet (had one cancellation). Currently, I have requests for 9 more bags of grain, I think, (Coastwx, can you please pm me with your TOTAL order? Thanks).

Sooooo, decision time. If we order over 42 bags of grain, we will need an additional pallet. I was quoted $65.00 freight/pallet. We've saved this amount on the lift-gate charge. Of course, the more bags on a pallet, the less the per bag freight charge is.

IMO, we can:

let this go awhile longer and see if we can fill another pallet.

order what we have now.

set a cut-off date and order what we have at that point, and suck-up the additional freight charge. If we do this, people can order other items if they desire.

I personally like the last option.

I guess. Is that good for american wheat beers? Or is the color too dark? Pale wheat is about 1/4 of the lovibond of the dark.

I was looking at it and compared it to the 2 options at American Brewmaster, and I think the Dark Wheat is their normal malted wheat, and white wheat is what it is.

I tend to use more malted wheat than white wheat, the flavor is more apparent. but white is fine too, i just don't like $5+ for 3# of it at AB.

I can't see the spreadsheet or catalog here at work so i can't confirm until i get home tonight.

I was looking at it and compared it to the 2 options at American Brewmaster, and I think the Dark Wheat is their normal malted wheat, and white wheat is what it is.

I tend to use more malted wheat than white wheat, the flavor is more apparent. but white is fine too, i just don't like $5+ for 3# of it at AB.

I can't see the spreadsheet or catalog here at work so i can't confirm until i get home tonight.

Here is the description from CM and BZ:

Best Pale Wheat (1.5-2.5°L) Best Dark Wheat (5-8°L) Best Wheat malts are produced from plump, spring German wheat. Best Wheat malts are suitable for all types of wheat beer including traditional Weiss beer and American wheat beer.

CMC White Wheat (1.5-2.5°L) Made with superior grade white wheat for the production of traditional German Wiessbier and American Wheat Beer. This malt can also be used for added head retention and mouth-feel in ay beer.

I guess 5-8 lovibond is really not too dark. I don't do that many wits. I'll split a bag with you.

We are 7 bags shy of filling one pallet (had one cancellation). Currently, I have requests for 9 more bags of grain, I think, (Coastwx, can you please pm me with your TOTAL order? Thanks).

so... 7 bags short of one pallet, but 9 more bags requested, meaning we are 2 bags over one pallet?

do these numbers include the bag of Munich that basisforaday and I were talking about splitting? I'm still waiting to hear if he had a preference for the light/dark and brand, so I never sent a PM to you yet.

Also, do these numbers include Dallas' sack of hulls?

See below for the reason why I am asking....

Sooooo, decision time. If we order over 42 bags of grain, we will need an additional pallet. I was quoted $65.00 freight/pallet. We've saved this amount on the lift-gate charge. Of course, the more bags on a pallet, the less the per bag freight charge is.

IMO, we can:

let this go awhile longer and see if we can fill another pallet.

order what we have now.

set a cut-off date and order what we have at that point, and suck-up the additional freight charge. If we do this, people can order other items if they desire.

I personally like the last option.

If we have 44 bags now (7 shy of pallet + 9 more) and if that 44 total count includes the split bag of munich for me and basisforaday and Dallas' rice hulls....

I would be fine with dropping the munich if basisforaday is OK with it. I do use Munich, but 27# of it is going to last me a looooong time and I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get the half sack.

And, since Dallas already called his 50# sack of hulls "stupid", maybe we can drop that one, too and get us back to 42 and pull the trigger now?

so... 7 bags short of one pallet, but 9 more bags requested, meaning we are 2 bags over one pallet?

Yes, at last count.

do these numbers include the bag of Munich that basisforaday and I were talking about splitting? I'm still waiting to hear if he had a preference for the light/dark and brand, so I never sent a PM to you yet.

I don't know. I wasn't in the conversation.:D

Also, do these numbers include Dallas' sack of hulls?

Yes
See below for the reason why I am asking....

If we have 44 bags now (7 shy of pallet + 9 more) and if that 44 total count includes the split bag of munich for me and basisforaday and Dallas' rice hulls....

I would be fine with dropping the munich if basisforaday is OK with it. I do use Munich, but 27# of it is going to last me a looooong time and I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get the half sack.

And, since Dallas already called his 50# sack of hulls "stupid", maybe we can drop that one, too and get us back to 42 and pull the trigger now?

I'm going to update the spreadsheet with everything that has been ordered to date. Everyone can decide from there. One pallet will certainly keep the costs down, and then there is the equitability question on shipping. I'll post when it's updated. This is more difficult than the last one. I love a challenge.

I'm quietly watching. If you are going to try to fill 2 pallets I will go for 3 bags.

This is why we had talked about leaving it open through the weekend for folks that haven't seen it or folks that were on the fence. Like Reel said, what we are saving by not needing the lift gate more than covers a second pallet so that there aren't people left out this time.

I don't have any plans to come to Charlotte either though, so you may have to make a trip north this time!

I can't upload the spreadsheet from work, it'll have to wait until tonight. I'm with Skee. Let's keep this thing open until 9:00 p.m. Sunday, 9 January to give everyone a chance, and we won't have to trim this order. I'll blast my PayPal address out via PM then for payment. Please remember to transfer the money as a gift, otherwise I get stuck with the PayPal service charge.

The sooner I receive payment, the sooner I order.

Anybody have any ideas on an equitable arrangement for the additional freight charge? As it stands, it's based solely on number of bags/order.

Anybody have any ideas on an equitable arrangement for the additional freight charge? As it stands, it's based solely on number of bags/order.

Can't you just have everybody pay for what they order? Do they give you a breakdown when you order so you could just apply the total cost divided by the # of bags ordered by each person?

I think breaking the total tax+shipping+whatever fees down on a per-bag basis is the right way to do it without creating a massive headache for yourself.

Aside from the tub of PBW I am tacking on, did anyone else request non-grain items like hops or other stuff?

I'd be happy to throw in some extra $ for the PBW since a "per bag" breakdown would miss that item.

Can't you just have everybody pay for what they order? Do they give you a breakdown when you order so you could just apply the total cost divided by the # of bags ordered by each person?

No breakdown. Just the quantity of each product and the pallet rate.

I think breaking the total tax+shipping+whatever fees down on a per-bag basis is the right way to do it without creating a massive headache for yourself.

Aside from the tub of PBW I am tacking on, did anyone else request non-grain items like hops or other stuff?

I'd be happy to throw in some extra $ for the PBW since a "per bag" breakdown would miss that item.

I think I'll get some PBW as well. The grain is the weight and the need for pallets. We'll see how it shakes out.

No breakdown. Just the quantity of each product and the pallet rate.
So you are just talking about the $65/pallet and then probably the 15% fuel surcharge. I would say just split it up either per person or per bag. I believe that's what you're saying. Whatever makes it easiest for you Reel I'm sure we'll all agree with. You have the toughest job in this, so whatever is easiest works for me.

Spreadsheet is updated. I've added an additional worksheet with notes. Please take a look at it. It will help explain my convoluted spreadsheet formulae.

Please check your order for accuracy.

UPDATE: No hops please! Since I'm not a distributor, I can't keep up with the spot-pricing and availability, which change on a daily basis. Set-price items are fine. Remember this is a group "grain" buy. Sorry.

I'll post an updated spreadsheet later today.

I am interested in getting another bag or 2 on top of what i already have on the spreadsheet. If that makes a difference on keeping it open for a few more days...

I'd still like to split a sack of Munich with someone. Basisforaday said he was interested, but hasn't responded to any messages from me about it.

Anyone interested?

So I just took a look at the sheet, and it looks like you're just charging everyone for one bag of shipping. Shouldn't it be the per bag amount * number of bags?

So I just took a look at the sheet, and it looks like you're just charging everyone for one bag of shipping. Shouldn't it be the per bag amount * number of bags?

He sure is. I told him that last night. He said he was gonna fix it tonight. I'm assuming he'll post somewhere once he makes the changes.

I'd still like to split a sack of Munich with someone. Basisforaday said he was interested, but hasn't responded to any messages from me about it.

Anyone interested?

I might be interested. I'd also like to split a bag of pilsner with someone.

He sure is. I told him that last night. He said he was gonna fix it tonight. I'm assuming he'll post somewhere once he makes the changes.

Yep, thanks. It's updated and should be correct this time.

PM sent for updates on bag splitting. Thanks!

PM boxes are filling up. I keep the spreadsheet in full bag increments because I order from it. I'm relying on people who share to annotate the bag on one order, and work it out between themselves.

Back