Steeping Grains for an Extract Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
What grains would you recommend for steeping with a wheat DME brew? I'm using 6.5Lbs of Wheat DME with a pound of honey and some chamomile mixed in. I'm brewing a wheat from a recipe in the book "Extreme Brewing" I just picked up, but am thinking I would like to steep some specialty grains, I'm just not sure what would go well with a wheat beer? I've only brewed one batch so far without steeping grains, and so far every other batch with the grains has
been much better so I would like to add some to the recipe.

Suggestions?

This really all depends on what kind of wheat you're going for? Are you wanting a darker wheat? Or the typical american/german/belgian type wheats. If you're going to a lighter wheat, I don't suggest using any specialty grains. My AG recipe for wheats is usually just flaked wheat/white wheat/2-row. Fairly simple, yet "oh so good".

I'm looking for a lighter wheat, so do most extract wheat recipes just skip the steeping grains all together??

I think most of them do have none. You could add light crystal in a small amount. You don't really want caramel flavors though.

Ok, I think I'll just leave it along and trust the recipe and the two of you and see what happens.

Thank you for the input!

Back