Oak Aging Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
Hey kids,
Ok so I made three ciders this year (first time doing cider), one of straight cider and champagne yeast, one cider with a little honey (1lbs) and WL english cider yeast, and one cyser with about 6lbs honey and WL cider yeast.
I am going to keg and bottle most of it but I want to age some on oak chips. I was thinking a gallon jug with chips in the cellar, but I dont know how many chips/ how long to age. All three have finished the bulk of fermentation and have been transfer off the primary cake. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben

In just a gallon of liquid you will not need very many chips in there very long to pick up a noticeable taste. I have heard of 4 oz in 5 gallons for three weeks. So my guess would be toss in an oz, and give it a little taste every week until your desired taste it acquired. The only issues is that with a gallon, a taste every now and then can drain it quickly.

Maybe someone with some cider experience can comment. I only know beer....

When I oak wines, I use one ounce of chips in 5 gallons. I like the medium toast American chips. The lighter chips taste more "vanilla" than "oaky". But that might be good in a cider.

I'd do 1/2 ounce for about 10 days, but that might be a bit too much. I'd try it after a week, and see where it's at. If it's too oaky, it'll age out but if it's way too oaky, it'll take a long time to age out!

When I oak wines, I use one ounce of chips in 5 gallons. I like the medium toast American chips. The lighter chips taste more "vanilla" than "oaky". But that might be good in a cider.

I'd do 1/2 ounce for about 10 days, but that might be a bit too much. I'd try it after a week, and see where it's at. If it's too oaky, it'll age out but if it's way too oaky, it'll take a long time to age out!

Thats true. Wine and Cider will likely have a more delicate flavor than a big barley wine, and probably wouldn't need as much/long.

Back