DME blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,
My name is Greg and I have been lurking around here for some time. Learned a lot.
I have searched around and cannot find the answer to a bit of a problem I am having:
I live sort of far out in the boondocks and beer supplies are scarce.
I have just used liquid yeast for the first time. My recipie calls for 1lb of malt extract.
I just had to use half of that to get the liquid yeast going.
Over one hundred miles to more DME.

Does what I used in the yeast concoction count towards the total?
Or am I going to Santa Fe tomorrow??

Sorry to lead with a question, but I am up against it.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

That sounds like alot of extract to use in a starter, but I'm no math whiz so I am not figuring out how big your starter is.

You can pitch the whole starter into your wort, then you don't need to go buy more DME.

I keep a 3 pound bag of DME in the cupboard, just to use for making starters. I use 1/2 cup to 2 cups water, usually.

Apricot Hefe. (we have to do something with all of these apricots)
1 pound DME
2 cans of wheat liquid

First time I have brewed this.
This is my last extract brew as I am going all grain.

.....that's seems like a big starter, but you should be fine. As long as it makes it in there one way or another. As long as you pour the whole starter in it. Don't decant the yeast starter first.

If anyone cares it is from Wyeast Yeast Propagator

got to smack the package, I thought it was fun.

What do you mean don't decant first? Don't put the yeast in the carboy first? First in relation to what??

Many folks will put their starter in the fridge for a little while so the yeast fall to the bottom, then pour off (or decant) the liquid before they pitch the yeast. Since that's normally not part of the recipe, they don't want to throw their beer off.

Since you used DME that was part of your recipe, you want to just pour the whole thing in.

This may be a bit :off: but Morebeer.com has great prices and free shipping in the lower 48. I have a LHBS here in SD but their prices are WAY more than just buying online, especially when the shipping is free. Not to mention I don't get the attitude that my LHBS tends to have. I Highly recommend Morebeer.com to anyone on this site. (and no I don't work for them, just one happy customer)

PS: their LME comes packaged in whatever size you need for your batch which makes things a hell of alot easier.

Latest posts

Back