New blichmann burner arrived

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Finally broke down last week and purchased a blichmann burner and it arrived today......

Can't wait to put it to use this weekend

image-1271408666.jpg

Putting the new burner to work tonight. Talk about quiet ? I can barely hear the gas over the sound of the wort boiling.

Love it!

Got the mashed wort up to temp in less than 15 with 8 gallons

dpalme said:
putting the new burner to work tonight. Talk about quiet ? I can barely hear the gas over the sound of the wort boiling.

Love it!

Got the mashed wort up to temp in less than 15 with 8 gallons

image-1631244527.jpg

Is that an update international/mega pot/etc? Just curious as to whether it fits on that burner as I have the same one.

And quiet eh? My bayou is noisy as hell.

The pot is a Polar Ware

Fits fine, I haven't put the hooks on the legs yet.

Yes, quiet. I had a bayou and that thing sounded like a freight train up close and personal....this thing is so quiet I can actually talk on the phone right next to it. I'm not kidding one bit!

I've had my Blichmann burner for a year now and absolutely love it.

It's a little pricier than some, but it makes for a much better boil and you save the difference in propane.

Blichman SS burner with leg extensions will be my next investment. Then, will probably get the 10 Gal brew pot from Blichman.
What wrong wid da beer we got?

I am replacing a (don't know the brand) turkey fryer burner with one of these after a rather frustrating brew session. We ended up boiling in two pots on my stove because it was windy and cold and would never get up to temp. Did some research and based on reviews here I splurged. The old one lasted me at lease 8 years (of Thanksgiving turkeys) and was ready for some hose replacements anyway.

I'm looking forward to using it.

Got mine with the leg extensions used about a year and a half ago for $100..... the thing is incredible, at the rate I use it I'll have saved that much in propane over my old burner before too long.

What is the BTU output on that thing? Also, since I brought it up, what is a desirable BTU amount? I have read anywhere from 30K to 90K will do the job, but obviously the less gas used the better. I am wondering as I try to budget when I make the AG move.

Some folks get 3 batches out of a 15 gal tank of propane but some get 6.

In my experience - it isn't so much a function of BTUs but matching your pot to your burner size. You can have a huge burner, but if all that heat is blowing around the pot - it is completely wasted. I think the Blichmann is 72,000 BTU - and it has good shielding around the burner. I throw up a couple of pieces of sheet metal around the burner when in operation and I get >6 batches out of a tank. It does well enough that I don't even really pay attention to how many batches a tank lasts anymore - just cycle in a spare tank on the rare occasion that I run out.

I barely get 2 batches out of a tank. :(

Are you guys talking about heating strike water, and boiling, that you ate getting six batches??

In my experience - it isn't so much a function of BTUs but matching your pot to your burner size. You can have a huge burner, but if all that heat is blowing around the pot - it is completely wasted. I think the Blichmann is 72,000 BTU - and it has good shielding around the burner. I throw up a couple of pieces of sheet metal around the burner when in operation and I get >6 batches out of a tank. It does well enough that I don't even really pay attention to how many batches a tank lasts anymore - just cycle in a spare tank on the rare occasion that I run out.

I heard also that a flue is a good idea to keep heat focused and concentrated rather than it being "scattered by the four winds"! No doubt this saves you fuel.

6+ batches per 20 pounds fill - all grain from heating strike water to flame out. Shielding, a good burner and good heat control. Also - have the tank refilled rather than exchanged - the exchange is normally only 15 lbs rather than the 20 lb refill - usually for about the same price.

Anyone else scorch their blichman burner quite like this on the first run? Possibly I had it set too high?

image-2831285213.jpg

I need to get better burners..... That looks like it might have been burning a little dirty.

I just looked at the Blichmann I've been running for three years and it doesn't have that sooty look to the burner nor the apparent deposits on the inside of the wind shield, so I'm going to agree it was probably running on the rich side.

What did the bottom of the kettle look like? My kettles end a brew session with no discernible color to their bottoms...

Cheers!

I have been running the same Bayou Classic for over 9 years. Recently I have been looking into upgrading my brew day volume from 11.50 gallons, to 21.50 gallons end product. That would mean only brewing once a month:ban: . So, if I am going to upgrade, might as well get that one more burner I have been wanting now for a few years. Once my tax check rolls in, after reading this thread, I'll be buying a Blichman Burner and a 30 gallon kettle. Great thread!

Sething else, I noticed that quite a lot of you guys using the Blichmann Burner say that no soot is on the bottom of the kettle when you are done brewing. I find that amazing as I always thought of that soot as a normal by product of a burner. Every clean up for every batch includes cleaning all that soot off the kettle. I can not wait to get tis burner and see what a quiet, efficient, and clean burner looks like.

If you tune these burners well they burn as clean as a kitchen gas range. I did another double brew session yesterday and the bottom of my BK was perfectly clean at the end of the day...

Cheers!

Is that an update international/mega pot/etc? Just curious as to whether it fits on that burner as I have the same one.

And quiet eh? My bayou is noisy as hell.

I have a 15 gallon UI kettle and it fits perfectly on this burner. It has adjustable sliding pieces that center the pot and keep it from moving. This is a great burner and is a great balance between power and efficiency.

PJM said:
I have a 15 gallon UI kettle and it fits perfectly on this burner. It has adjustable sliding pieces that center the pot and keep it from moving. This is a great burner and is a great balance between power and efficiency.

Thank you, I'll be getting one of these with my tax money as well

Great burner no doubt, there newly modified regulator sucks though...

What is wrong with it? I just got one of these at the beginning of the year and LOVE it!

You have to push the dial in everytime ya need to adjust it. The old regulator ya didnt have to. Kinda a pain, but thats just me..

I just assembled my floor burner with extended legs. The burner came with two wide-head phillips screws, not mentioned in the assembly manual. Did I miss something? Any idea what they're for?

Looking forward to putting this to good use this weekend.

I like everything I've read about this burner. Our LBHS in Houston sells the Blichmann floor burner for 149.99. That seems like a good price, but could I do better online?

I like everything I've read about this burner. Our LBHS in Houston sells the Blichmann floor burner for 149.99. That seems like a good price, but could I do better online?

I think that is the standard price everywhere. I got mine at Northern Brewer when they were offering a $25 gift card with a purchase of the burner. That's about the best deal I could find.

I think that is the standard price everywhere. I got mine at Northern Brewer when they were offering a $25 gift card with a purchase of the burner. That's about the best deal I could find.

Same here!

I just assembled my floor burner with extended legs. The burner came with two wide-head phillips screws, not mentioned in the assembly manual. Did I miss something? Any idea what they're for?

Looking forward to putting this to good use this weekend.

One bright screw goes through the air shutter into the bell, presumably to fix the air shutter in place once you've found the sweet spot. I didn't install that screw on either of my Blichmanns. Don't know what the other screw might be for...

Cheers!

I hunted for a few hours, no better prices. They are drop-shipped from the manufacturer so I'm guessing that will be as good as it gets. I'd buy it - you save the shipping and support your LHBS.

Latest posts

Back