Starting second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendrid

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch last night which was a MW Autumn Amber Ale. It came in at 1.010 with a SG of 1.040 (recipe states 1.042). I taste it and it had no odd tastes and was pretty much just flat beer.

I just ordered my second kit (a pale ale) and I am thinking about starting it next weekend. Would you with experience recommend that I wait another week to be sure my Amber has no issues or should I just go for it? I am impatient and want to get another brew going so in six weeks I have two decent brews available.

Thanks

Learn by doing. Just don't get sloppy

I am really worried about infections so I'm being super clean. My bottling wand touched my dishwasher once last night and I freaked out and sanitized it again.

Thanks

You will be surprised how quickly your first batch will disappear (espcially if its even halfway good)

Heed the advise of others here - Get a pipeline going!! In fact, you should be buying at least 2 more batches worth. Get ahead of it while you can!!
-Me

I am super new to this and have 3 batches going 3 days apart from eachother.

I will be adding another batch over the weekend but following the advice of everyone I will keep it in the primary and skip the secondary altogether.

as for sanitising I am a freak lol. I have that pink stuff and a huge brush with rubber gloves that go up to the elbow and a face mask with a rubber bib. lol.
If it is not perfectly white and dripping with suds I am not satisfied :p

The only thing that may be a issue is keeping others away from my beer after I am done bottling them lol

I was going to purchase two batches but right now I only have one primary and one bottling bucket. Based on my spreadsheet my Amber will be drinkable in two weeks and a month from then the Pale Ale should be drinkable so my Amber would have to last a month. I want to let my beer age longer since everyone says it's much better aged so I do want to get a collection going. I think I will be picking up some more store bought beer so I will leave my homebrew alone for a while so it can age.

I was going to use my bottling bucket as the primary for the Pale Ale and after a week transfer it to my primary fermenter for two weeks using it as a secondary fermenter. Would you recommend that I just do three weeks in the primary or is splitting like I'd be doing worth the work? Since it's not glass/air tight I'm not sure if there would be a benefit besides removing the beer from the yeast cake.

If anyone know of brew shops in the NW Chicago burbs please let me know the names and town. I'd love to have a local shop. I've only found one by searching and it's pretty far north.

Thanks

Two theories:

1) Don't hesitate to brew...overlapping your pipeline is a good thing.
B) Make sure you're equipped for beer armaggedon. Buy more stuff.

35_gallons.jpg

I have that pink stuff and a huge brush with rubber gloves that go up to the elbow and a face mask with a rubber bib.

I understand that you don't want your batches infected oinyo, but i'm going to suggest that a rewarding brew days should involve a rubber bib, let alone a face mask.

:D

I am super new to this and have 3 batches going 3 days apart from eachother.

I will be adding another batch over the weekend but following the advice of everyone I will keep it in the primary and skip the secondary altogether.

as for sanitising I am a freak lol. I have that pink stuff and a huge brush with rubber gloves that go up to the elbow and a face mask with a rubber bib. lol.
If it is not perfectly white and dripping with suds I am not satisfied :p

The only thing that may be a issue is keeping others away from my beer after I am done bottling them lol

Just be careful with your sanitization - using a brush can cause little scratches that can harbor nasties. (Just use caution)
-Me

Back