Are 2 heads better than 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
New to home brewing. I bought a brew kit from Monster Brew and made a pale ale. The beer has been fermenting for two weeks tomorrow. The initial bubbling stopped after a couple of days. But now there is another active bubbling going on after two weeks. I was very careful about cleaning and sanitizing, and the carboyl has a good airlock. Is this normal, or do I have a contaminant? I was just about to rack to the bottling bucket when I noticed this phenomenon. Also temperature has been constant, but probably on the high side of suggested - around 75 degrees. Should I go ahead and rack or wait until the bubbling subsides again?

Thirsty in Key West

Well, 75 is pretty darn high. Is that the ambient temperature, or the temperature inside the fermenter?

Still, the only way to know if fermentation is done is by using a hydrometer. Do you have one? If you do, then it's time to start taking readings to see if the beer is ready to bottle!

There are many reasons for bubbling in the airlock- temperature changes, barometric pressure changes, fermentation, etc. That's not a reliable way to tell if anything is happening inside the fermenter. If I had to bet, though, I'd say that fermentation is done and you had a change in the weather in the last few days.

wait it out dude only the hydrometer can tell you when she is ready

my last brew I let go 6 weeks in primary came out clean and mmmmmmmmm

if you take a reading over 3 days in a row and no change then its ready

ha I beat revvy ha

:mug:

Another thought, did U agitate the bucket? I've found that during fermentation some of the CO2 goes into solution. If u agitate it will come out.

The surface of the beer actually has developed a new foam layer.

Yes we have just experienced a "cold" front here in KW. No agitation.

Will follow advise about hydrometer readings. You don't worry about interrupting the airlock when you sample frequently? What numbers are you looking for on the hydro?

Thanks, It's tough being the new guy.
T.

The surface of the beer actually has developed a new foam layer.

Yes we have just experienced a "cold" front here in KW.

Will follow advise about hydrometer readings. You don't worry about interrupting the airlock when you sample frequently?

Thanks
T.

No, it's no worry at all. You can take the samples you need without worrying about contamination. There is a co2 "blanket" over the beer, helping to protect the beer when you open the container. I wouldn't leave beer for months in a bucket, but in a carboy with limited headspace, you could even leave beer for a year without any worries. As long as you sanitize your equipment, and sanitize your sampling gear (and don't return the samples to the fermenter- drink those!), you'll be fine.

Thirsty in Key West,

First of all I have to tell you that I live in Iowa and based on the extreme temperature differences between here and, there I hate you.

Leave it go, it is not done. For whatever reason the ferment got stalled and is not on the go again. If you have a hydrometer, check the SG after the bubbling stops. If it is at, lets say 1.015 or less, we can call it done. Bottle condition and enjoy. If no hydrometer, wait till the bubbling stops, wait another week. Then have at.

Ok, I don't hate you. Just damn jealous. Tomarrows high is expected to be 6f. 6 whole dang degrees.

Good luck. (of course you don't need it, you live in Key West...bastidge)

And be welcome, this is the place of much knowledge in the art of home brewing. I am a card carrying smartypants and hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.

Thirsty in Key West,

First of all I have to tell you that I live in Iowa and based on the extreme temperature differences between here and, there I hate you.

Leave it go, it is not done. For whatever reason the ferment got stalled and is not on the go again. If you have a hydrometer, check the SG after the bubbling stops. If it is at, lets say 1.015 or less, we can call it done. Bottle condition and enjoy. If no hydrometer, wait till the bubbling stops, wait another week. Then have at.

Ok, I don't hate you. Just damn jealous. Tomarrows high is expected to be 6f. 6 whole dang degrees.

Good luck. (of course you don't need it, you live in Key West...bastidge)

And be welcome, this is the place of much knowledge in the art of home brewing. I am a card carrying smartypants and hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.

IowaHarry, I have to tell you that I live in the Northern Adirondack Mountains of New York State, and based on the extreme temperature differences between here and Iowa, I hate you.:D Tomorrow's high will be -6, and we're looking at -25 to -30 tomorrow night, and that's not counting the wind...
Ok, I don't hate you, I just wanted to gloat about our balmy weather!

IowaHarry, I have to tell you that I live in the Northern Adirondack Mountains of New York State, and based on the extreme temperature differences between here and Iowa, I hate you.:D Tomorrow's high will be -6, and we're looking at -25 to -30 tomorrow night, and that's not counting the wind...
Ok, I don't hate you, I just wanted to gloat about our balmy weather!

Wow! It's supposed to get UP to -15 tomorrow, maybe. But we don't count wind chill of course. Now, can we please get back on topic? Thanks!

Back