Rigid copper tubing and spring benders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithd

Reaction score
OK,

So I'm back in the States on leave, so I only have a short while to pick up stuff, then it's back to playing GI Joe in Japan. :)

While I'm here I have the chance to pick up tools for cheap. I want to get a spring bender and some copper tubing.

Here's the question:
Will a spring bender for copper tubing work with what's called "rigid" or plumbing tubing, or is it too stiff? I'm refering to the type that you can get at Home Despot or Lowe's.

I can't bend this stuff by hand free-hand without collapsing it for sure. Does the spring bender require softer copper tubing, like what's used in HVAC applications or do I just need to "man-up" and put a little effort into bending the rigid tubing with the spring bender installed properly?

Harbor Freight has a flairing tool/spring bender combo for 8 bucks, and that's all I need for making two wort pick-up tubes.

Thanks all, and have a safe Christmas and a good New Years!
-keith

I don't think you will have much luck here. I checked over on a plumbing forum and they hard pressed to help this guy to bend rigid for a light fixture/ art piece. The suggestions ranged from very expensive hydraulic benders to filling with sand and heating to extreme temperatures. If you already have the copper to play around with, go ahead buy yourself a torch and fire it up.

Thanks alot!

Looks like I'll have to stick with sweating elbows when it comes to the rigid stuff. Not a problem, really.
-keith

OK,

So I'm back in the States on leave, so I only have a short while to pick up stuff, then it's back to playing GI Joe in Japan. :)

While I'm here I have the chance to pick up tools for cheap. I want to get a spring bender and some copper tubing.

Here's the question:
Will a spring bender for copper tubing work with what's called "rigid" or plumbing tubing, or is it too stiff? I'm refering to the type that you can get at Home Despot or Lowe's.

I can't bend this stuff by hand free-hand without collapsing it for sure. Does the spring bender require softer copper tubing, like what's used in HVAC applications or do I just need to "man-up" and put a little effort into bending the rigid tubing with the spring bender installed properly?

Harbor Freight has a flairing tool/spring bender combo for 8 bucks, and that's all I need for making two wort pick-up tubes.

Thanks all, and have a safe Christmas and a good New Years!
-keith

Cant bend rigid tubing with spring benders. Soft temper copper only(ref. copper). Do you know how to solder? I just soldered 90s on mine.

Back