All Grain to extract conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolson

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert this recipe to extract i havent started doing all grain yet and i was wndering if there was a way..

4.5 lbs. English 2-row Pale info
3.5 lbs. English Wheat Malt info
1 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 6 %AA) boiled 64 min. info
1 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 4.3 %AA) boiled 16 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 3.7 %AA) boiled 2 min. info

Those are some weird time increments for the hops...

Anyway, here's what I got from brewsmith...

3.15 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 55.94 % 2.48 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 44.06 % 1.00 oz Tettnang [6.00 %] (64 min) Hops 24.1 IBU 1.00 oz Williamette 5.0 AAU [4.30 %] (16 min) Hops 8.8 IBU 1.00 oz Cascade [3.70 %] (2 min) Hops 1.2 IBU

:tank:

Well that changes it a little. I was assuming 70% efficiency and not 72%. Here's the update...

3.71 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 54.73 %
3.07 lb
Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
Extract
45.27 %
1.26 oz
Tettnang [6.00 %] (64 min)
Hops
23.6 IBU
1.26 oz
Williamette 5.0 AAU [4.30 %] (16 min)
Hops
8.7 IBU
1.26 oz
Cascade [3.70 %] (2 min)
Hops
1.2 IBU

The hop changes are based on not getting a full 5 gallon boil. If you can get a full boil then keep the hops at 1 oz each assuming you can get the same AAU hops.

So no DME? just LME? thank you for the conversion!
You can use either. DME is more concentrated so use 20% less than you would with LME.

The thing about the conversion is that wheat extract is usually a combination of wheat extract and barley extract. It varies a bit but so ask your supplier what the ratio is. Is this beer a wheat beer because that is what the ratio of grains looks like.

Its a clone of Magic Hat Circus Boy.
I got that much :) I am not familar with this beer and googling indicates that it is a wheat beer. I would use straight wheat extract for the beer with enough to get it to your gravity. I am at work so I can't say for certain how much extract to use. Where do you buy your supplies?

I got that much :) I am not familar with this beer and googling indicates that it is a wheat beer. I would use straight wheat extract for the beer with enough to get it to your gravity. I am at work so I can't say for certain how much extract to use. Where do you buy you supplies?

Now that i think about it what you say makes sense to a degree. Wheat extract is usually 50 to 60% wheat and the rest pale malt extract. So I figure...

the original percentage of wheat is 43.75%

converting the 6.78 lbs of LME to DME is 5.42 lbs

you need 2.37 lbs of that to be wheat.

assuming 55% wheat in wheat extract...

you want 4.31 lbs of wheat extract...

that leaves you with 1.11 lbs of pale malt DME...

I believe my math is correct. I am a bit druck right now. If I am wrong...for the love of Christ lad show me what I did wrong!!!

I was wracking my brain as to why I came up with 55% wheat in wheat DME and I checked Austin Homebrew Store as they usually have the most info about the products they sell. Breiss wheat DME is 55% BASE malt and 45% wheat malt. My calculations are wrong. Here's the corrected calcs:

Assuming wheat is 45% in wheat DME...

you want 5.27 lbs of wheat extract...

that leaves you with .15 lbs of pale malt DME...

Goddamnit!!!

I just kicked my druck brain's @ss to come up with essentially the same thing as Blender did! That's damned frustrating!

Back