10 year old Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flip143

Reaction score
I have 4 bottles of Raspberry and 3 bottles of Clover Mead, each 10 years old. The clover was put up in clear 1 liter flip top bottles and the Raspberry in brown 1 liter bottles with crown caps. I did this as an experiment, not even knowing if I like Mead. About five years ago, I gave a bottle of Raspberry to a friend who loves wine. She told me that it was great and wanted more ( I couldn't part with any others though). Last week I opened a bottle of the Clover. I could tell it had a high alcohol content, but I was not thrilled with the flavor. It wasn't sour or rancid like some of my bad beer projects. I just don't know if it is what the style is suppose to be like. Could being stored in clear glass effect it? It has been in storage with relative darkness. Could the Raspberry have problems with the crown caps after this long? I made these about a week or two after the birth of my son. I am hoping to save them for a special time in his life, i.e. college grad, wedding, etc. Is it possible to think they will keep that long. I remember hearing that Mead just keeps getting better with age, but how long? Any help will be greatful.
Flip

I think HB_99 summed it up nicely on this site with Mead by saying 'My ten year old mead tasted exactly like i remembered it at 3 years'.
He did well in that it hadn't oxidised but at the same time he'd had it sat around for seven years with no improvement in flavour.

I'm not sure it will keep getting better. It'll lose floral elements and become very dry and eventually thin. Like an old wine. Not necessarily worse, but every beverage has its peak.

Still, no point in not hanging on to some. In about 1996, some friends and I drank a bottle of Dom Perignon 1964 that we had found (yeah, I know). Everyone told us it should be crap, but it was a really nice bottle of bubbly. An 100 year old Burgundy is some of the world's more revered wine. Honey has amazing keeping power. So, you never know what it'll do, and as long as it isn't overly oxidized and is stored well it won't get worse fast ;)

The only alternative is to crack a bottle open with your son tonight! :D

As far as you not liking it, if you aren't sure that you like mead, then it could be as simple as that. Mead is an interesting flavor...more brawny than a white wine, especially straight meads. I think they really benefit from the addition of some acidic fruit. It definitely helps them ferment better.

When was the last time you tasted it and how was it then?

I tasted it about a week ago. Like I said, it had high alcohol flavor, bit dry, but not sour or such. I assume it is like it should be. I guess I just don't care for straight mead. I think I will try the raspberry soon. If it is good, I think I will try something with oranges. The only reason I am not trying it tonight, nursing a Martini hangover from last night!

I've tasted some VERY good 14 year old mead. It was sweet and had a high alcohol content but you could never tell until you tried to stand up :drunk: Aging mead is an odd thing as some age very well and others don't age well past 5 or so. I'm drinking some Sky River semi-sweet mead right now (a local meadry I found) and it's good to tide me over until mine is done ;) This would be a good question to pose on the forum at www.gotmead.com all the experts tend to hang out there including the infamous Joe

Orange, huh? Sounds interesting. My best batch ever was kiwi. The tartness was just right, and the fruity kiwi quality really lasted well.

Thanks Caplan. I am moving back to Florida in a few weeks of month. I can get my hands on Orange blossom honey real easy. That with the oranges should be a great touch. I am also thinking about trying something with Starfruit. It grows all over the place. Maybe even Mango......the possiblities are endless.

Joe's Ancient Orange is rather good. It never lasts long for me :tank: . I warn that it breaks some brewing taboo including using bread yeast *gasp* but it has proven itself time and time again so stick to it.

Back