True GDM-26 and Love/Ranco Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12milebrewing

Reaction score
I've happened upon a True GDM-26 for use as my fermentation chamber. I've seen references to using an STC-1000/Love/Ranco with these units. What is the recommended approach in wiring these? Bypass the internal thermostat, or can it be plugged in to a Ranco without short cycle issues?

My goal is simplicity (Ranco), but if the best approach is the more complex (Love) one that's fine. I have so much invested in this new system the extra time/cost is irrelevant at this point.

Thanks in advance!

If you have that much invested, it might be prudent to go with the Love controller, as the Ranco doesn't have an anti-short-cycle function. The wiring complexity for any of the three makes you mentioned is essentially identical...

Cheers!

I installed my STC-1000 in the bottom louvers on my TRUE GDM-10 Fermentation Chamber. The existing thermostat is bypassed. Existing wires were used between the lower and upper enclosures. I ran the probe wire through the existing wiring hole in the floor of the unit. The Heat 1/2 duplex receptacle (and an always Hot other 1/2, not on schematic) were installed in the original thermostat cut-out, in case I needed to control a smaller heater or use some other AC device inside the chamber.

IMO, bypassing the thermostat is a better option in that it allows the evaporator fan to run constantly, which promotes defrosting and air circulation.

5886-5280.jpg

Original Schematic
gdm-10-12-schematic-56711.jpg

Modified Schematic
gdm-10-modified-schematic-56712.jpg

The heat strip turned out to be oversized and I haven't actually needed to use it all winter.

Back