Ignition module problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I'm a little stuck here fellas. I decided to do my ignition system for my brutus a little bit different than most of you. I decided to use Honeywell hot surface ignition modules with Hot surface igniters. Both modules are brand new as are the glowfly igniters.

I just got my ten tip low pressure propane jet burners today and its as simple as flip the power switch, then swith the power switch to the first module. The igniter glows, the gas valve opens and I have beautiful flame. I have since adjusted my output pressure on my gas valve with a manometer. I also verified that I have 11" wc going into both valves.

Heres the problem, If I run them one at a time they work just fine for as long as I want them to run. If I flick both power switches on at the same time, I get both igniters to glow and then a quick click of the gas valve and they shut offf. If I have one burning just fine and I flick the other switch, it takes maybe 1-2 seconds and it shuts off. This is really confusing me, I was using flame sensors but disabled both of them thinking that they were the problem, they were not. If anybody has a clue as to what may be causing this please let me know.

I know its not a propane pressure issue, whichever burner I have running first will continue to run. The second igniter doesn't even get a chance to glow meaning the gas valve would not have opened to trigger any safeties. Hope somebody has some insight. I went this route with Hot surface ignition because I have friends in HVAC who hooked me up with nice components and darn it, I just wanted to be different. I'm thinking about just taking the Ignition modules out and making my own switch for the igniters. I also think I might be overloading the transformer so I'll try adding another and post back what happens. Have a good one!

S89100U Honeywell universal ignition modules with glowfly igniters. 120v 24v step down transformer. I tried adding another transformer last night but had the same issue. I then just wired in my igniters off a high voltage switch and set both gas valves to their own switches. Works like a charm. Gonna get some delay on make relays to make sure igniters shut off after a set time period. It looks pretty cool!

Back