Thoughts on HLT DIY idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolidayIF1488

Reaction score
Walmart has a sale on 32qt aluminum stock pots. My idea was to punch 2holes in one of these. One for a ball valve and one for an electric hot water heater element. This whole little project would run about 45$usd. I just wanted to get a few thoughts on this project before I tried it. I priced everything to that amount including the seals and high temp o-rings. I have a keggel and a stainless HLT already but was going to try this for fun and if it worked a gift. Thanks in advance for your input. Any thoughts?

Sounds good. I have a 52-quart aluminum stock pot that I converted for use as a HLT/BK. It should cost more than $45 though, unless you already have some of the parts beforehand. SS ball valve is $14 ($6 if you use brass), weldless bulkhead is $16, locknut is $8, element is $26 and the cost of the stock pot.

A4J said:
Sounds good. I have a 52-quart aluminum stock pot that I converted for use as a HLT/BK. It should cost more than $45 though, unless you already have some of the parts beforehand. SS ball valve is $14 ($6 if you use brass), weldless bulkhead is $16, locknut is $8, element is $26 and the cost of the stock pot.

I guess home depot in Colorado is cheap then:) the stock pots only 23$ and I came up with $45.63 all together after 7%tax. The element was only9$
Thanks a lot though I figured I might as well try it,and I really do appreciate your re-assurance. For some reason I get nervous with aluminum even though keggles are mostly aluminum.;-)

Back