Home Brew Shops in Iowa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Are there any brew shops in Iowa, I see Des Moines has one but thats a 3 hour drive, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo or for that matter even Rochester MN are close to where I live any chance these towns have one hidden away?

I just found one in a small town 40 minutes from where I live, according to the website they carry all the grains, hops, kits and equipment, I called the number and got a recording, they don't open til noon so I'll have to give them a try. Their prices were a bit higher than Northern Brewer but still cheaper when you figure in shipping, a 5 gallon carboy from Northern Brewer with shipping is $26.34 Local shop is $20.95 even with gas its still cheaper.

I just got back from the Brew shop its called the BlueStem Winery, its located in Parkersburg, Iowa. They have a very good supply of brewing kits grains, carboy's buckets all the little gadgets and widgets, you can check their online store to see what they have, I was very impressed with the store and the owners they seem to be really nice people.

Not sure if its ok to post a link to their website if it isn't please feel free to remove it. http://bluestemwine.com/

I've been to their website and it looks like a decent place. i live over north of fort dodge and am having the same trouble looking for supply places instead of paying the extortion known as shipping. working on my first batch now hopefully everything turns out!

If your in the Des Moines area, ya gotta check out BeerCrazy, tons of beer from around the world as well as a great selection of beer and wine homebrew equipment and supplies. There is another place in Des Moines down in Valley Junction, but I would not recommend them based on poor customer service and crazy high prices.

If your in the Des Moines area, ya gotta check out BeerCrazy, tons of beer from around the world as well as a great selection of beer and wine homebrew equipment and supplies. There is another place in Des Moines down in Valley Junction, but I would not recommend them based on poor customer service and crazy high prices.

i think the OP is outside the metro area, but i totally agree with what you say about beer crazy and the "other" place.

I know this thread is pretty old, but does anyone have any new info on this? I just moved to Iowa City and the prospect of driving to Davenport, Parkersburg or Des Moines to get homebrew supplies is pretty unappealing.

Thanks!

Beer Crazy has everything! The only thing they havent had is nelson sauvin hops, but not many do. The prices are very reasonable and worth the 2 1/2 hour drive from IA City. Just stock up when you come!

Check their website as they are having a teach a friend to brew day soon.

There are some benefits to being near the metro. Beer Crazy is one of them!

Chesters is alright, has most of the basic items someone would need and a pretty good assortment of kits as well.

But Beer Crazy would be worth the trip to DM for anyone in Iowa, the place is great.

Cool to see so many fellow Iowans on HBF!

Howdy all!

We've just opened BIY Homebrew Supply in Marion Iowa. Our address is 147 Marion Blvd #C, Marion IA 52302. We're actually located just 1 mile away from Lindale mall (right on the Marion / Cedar Rapids border) --so it's crazy easy to get to, and we stock Breiss, Muntons, Coopers, Brewer's Best, True Brew, Hopunion, Ferrari, Better Bottle, Grand Cru, Twisted Mist, Vintner's Reserve, Five Star's cleaners and sanitizers, and a lot, lot more!

Definitely check us out if you're in the area and are needing supplies! You can also give the shop a call at 319-373-BEER or check us out on Facebook! facebook.com/BIYHomebrewSupply

CHEERS!

Joe

Howdy all!

We've just opened BIY Homebrew Supply in Marion Iowa. Our address is 147 Marion Blvd #C, Marion IA 52302. We're actually located just 1 mile away from Lindale mall (right on the Marion / Cedar Rapids border) --so it's crazy easy to get to, and we stock Breiss, Muntons, Coopers, Brewer's Best, True Brew, Hopunion, Ferrari, Better Bottle, Grand Cru, Twisted Mist, Vintner's Reserve, Five Star's cleaners and sanitizers, and a lot, lot more!

Definitely check us out if you're in the area and are needing supplies! You can also give the shop a call at 319-373-BEER or check us out on Facebook! facebook.com/BIYHomebrewSupply

CHEERS!

Joe

Very awesome, Joe! Good luck with the business! Can't wait for an update from you on YouTube in regards to this. :)

I lived about 2 miles from Beer Crazy for 2 or 3 years before discovering it. And that was just from a Beer Drinker's perspective. But if it weren't for them, I wouldn't have started my Homebrewing. Those guys are great there and really know their stuff.

I'll definitely check out your store Joe if I am ever over in Hawkeye country . . . ;)

Just dropped in to the BIY Home brew supply in Marion, great prices (cheaper than Hy-Vee), great selection, and great organization. He even has the malts organized from lightest to darkest :)
Joe really knows his stuff too, he's a part of the local Beer Nuts club, and has obviously dedicated his life to this art. I suggest if you're in the area to just stop in. They're right behind the McDonalds next to Thomas Park.
Thanks for opening the store, we really needed it.

Great to find local places.
I'm in Waterloo, I will hit up both the Parkersburg and the Marion places depending on where my travels take me. :)

One opened in Decorah this past year - nice little shop, solid prices, helpful owner. I get as much of my stuff there as I can.
http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/

Yep, met the owner and he is a real nice guy and his prices are very competitive. While in Decorah, stop at Toppling Goliath for a beer or three. They are a nano brewery and that is their brew pub.

Just found this place in Cedar Falls.
http://www.kitchenwines.com/

Not real large, but had a little bit of everything it seemed, most anything that you might need on a whim too.
People working were very friendly and accommodating.

Kitchen Wine and Brew
1804 Waterloo Road Cedar Falls, IA 50613
(319) 266-6173

http://www.kitchenwines.com/

This is an awesome store, been open for about a year. Tom the owner has been brewing and making wine for 15+ years and is a big help if you are a new brewer or great to talk with if you are an experience brewer.

I've been going here ever since it has opened and he has almost everything you need or can get it within a few days.

Any suggestions on where in the quad cities i can pick up a ball lock gas disconnect for a party tonight? Camp McClellan or Somethings Brewn in Galesburg are the only things popping up on Google but neither are open yet to see if they stock them.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let all the HBT Iowa brewers know that BIY Homebrew Supply has expanded down to North Liberty to serve everyone in Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty, Solon, Ely, Swisher, Shueyville, etc. Our full address is:

BIY Homebrew Supply
7 Hawkeye Drive, Suite 105 & 106
North Liberty, IA 52317

We'll certainly be keeping our Marion/Cedar Rapids store open too (147 Marion Blvd #C, Marion, IA 52302)--so now with two BIY Homebrew Supply locations, everyone in the corridor and surrounding areas has a full service local home brew shop!

Hope to see you at either location!

Bluffhaus is the one I go to the most, as I work in Dubuque. Jerry is a great guy, very friendly, good prices and ready to assist. His stock is limited to Briess malts, Wyeast and Hopunion. So, if your looking for imported malts or White labs, you would have to go elsewhere.

I live in Maquoketa, so the Quad cities is an equal drive if I'm looking for imported malts. Which brings me to this place.
http://www.campmc.com/ located in Village of East Davenport.
She has quite a few grains, but they are all prepackaged. She does have Wyeast and White labs. But, I have learned to call before I make a trip, as she has been out of stock a few times.

I just got back from the Brew shop its called the BlueStem Winery, its located in Parkersburg, Iowa. They have a very good supply of brewing kits grains, carboy's buckets all the little gadgets and widgets, you can check their online store to see what they have, I was very impressed with the store and the owners they seem to be really nice people.

Not sure if its ok to post a link to their website if it isn't please feel free to remove it. http://bluestemwine.com/
They don't own that domain anymore...

Back