Strawberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriU

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a strawberry wheat beer, what would be a good amoun of strawberries to add for a 5 gallon batch? Should I adjust the amount of fermentables in my recipe?

I would say 1lb of fruit to 1gallon of beer is what I usually do when making a fruit beer. But have never worked with strawberries yet. Looking forward to hearing from other members.

Also, how do other prep the strawberries ? Blend ? Cut up ? To the secondary ?

I used about 4-5 pounds for my 5 gal batch. Racked onto strawberries in secondary for about one week. Racked off strawberries and let sit for another week before bottling.

Aroma is incredible but the taste isn't over powering like a juice. I am very happy with the results.

I used about 4-5 pounds for my 5 gal batch. Racked onto strawberries in secondary for about one week. Racked off strawberries and let sit for another week before bottling.

Aroma is incredible but the taste isn't over powering like a juice. I am very happy with the results.

I let mine sit for 28 days. The extra contact time pulls some tartness and helps balance the sweet.

I use 6lbs in my strawberry blonde. I quarter fresh strawberries, soak them in some vodka in the fridge for a few days then freeze over night. Then I throw them into a few paint strainer bags and into the keg. I taste every few days until I get the taste I like, usually about 2-3 weeks.

One thing I've found about adding strawberries is that if I mash at a lower temp, that helps balance out the sweetness from the strawberries.

I just kegged yesterday my Stawberry Wit. I hand picked 40lbs of berries from a farm and picked out the best 10lbs to use in a 5g batch. I just cleaned them the night I picked them and threw them in the freezer to break down the cell walls. After 7 days or so of fermenting I racked the beer on top of the thawed berries in a fermentor bucket(be forewarned, 10lbs of berries takes up a lot of space!). When I kegged it yesterday the aroma was heavy but did have a slight twang to it. I am reserving my opinion until it is completly ready. I forced carbed a sample and the CO2 does help. This is planned for a party next week so from my research I have heard it it best served fresh/soon as the flavor disapates quickly. If it lasts longer than the party I will report back on how it ages :)

Back