Will Peat Smoked Malt flavor fade with age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyerwire

Reaction score
I made a wee heavy last year and couldnt notice any flavor from the peat... so this year i adjusted it slightly and now its way too overbearing. Will it age out (or down a bit?) or will my best bet to make a mellow scottish ale and mix? Or just drink it and shut up

I made a Chipotle Ale with and it didn't really "die down" per se, but it kind of got a little smoother after a year or so. Not much help I know, but I think you're kind of stuck with that nice burned swamp flavor.

thats disappointing. note to self, a few ounces of peat malt goes a LOOONNNGGG way. I added a few more ounces and it went from not detectable to chewing peat

I made a barleywine recently and put in a pound of peat. My friend, who happens to be a pro brewer, helped me out, and accidentally put in 4 oz of Northdown hops, and now I can not taste any peat (however, the hop profile of it is way up there). So, if the peat is way too overpowering, try a little dry hopping, nothing dramatic, just start with a little and see if by adding some hoppiness to it, it might balance it out a tad.

Back