Blichmann Thermometer vs Bobby_M's EZ Weldless Sight/Thermometer Combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I have a 8 gallon Megapot that needs a thermometer & valve installed and I was wondering which one of the thermometers is better. They are same price but Bobby's option also comes with a Sight glass

Thoughts? Comments?

I think you answered your own question. I have only heard great things about the stuff Bobby M sells. He also stands behind his wares. It's alot more value to get a thermometer and a sight glass than just a thermometer.

I've got thermometers in all three of my pots, and after seeing the sight glasses, I'll be replacing all of mine with the thermo/sight glass combo.
Now I'm building a single tier brew stand, so the site glasses will be up closer to eye level instead of on a burner on the ground.
As for when is it useful? During fly sparging, when heating water for mash in or sparging, gauging boil volume...

I think Blichmann is a better quality thermometer, is sight glass really necessary / helpfull?

I am being honest when I say I don't trust those types of thermometers. Bimetallic coil thermometers are not the most accurate types of thermometers. IMHO there is no substiture for a quality digial thermometer.

Read this: http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Calib-boil.html

A lot of the questions are covered in my ABOUT page under the FAQ. I certainly cannot be viewed as being unbiased, but I'm serious when I say that I'd much rather lose a customer than sell you something you don't want or need. There are a lot of people who dip stick their kettle who say they don't see the need for a sight glass. However, you will never hear someone who put a sight glass on their HLT or kettle say they wish they never spent the whole 20 bucks.

I suspect the build quality of the Blichmann thermometer is a bit better than the one I use but they both come from China. I agree with Sawdustguy that digitals are better than bimetal dials. They certainly read faster and can be more accurate. My thermos read within +/- 1F for at least all the ones I've tested so far against boiling water and my recalibratable digital.

I certainly cannot be viewed as being unbiased, but I'm serious when I say that I'd much rather lose a customer than sell you something you don't want or need.

If you believe you have a great product, there is nothing wrong with telling people about it especially when you stand behind your product as well as you do. Service and support is almost as important as the product itself.

Thanks for your honest suggestions.

Since the 2nd hole (thermometer) is higher on the Megapot would that be a problem for sight glass?

you will never hear someone who put a sight glass on their HLT or kettle say they wish they never spent the whole 20 bucks.

+1 here. I bought one and installed it on my keggle. A buddy of mine thought it seemed unnecessary, but when it saw me brewing with that thing and noticed that I didn't have to measure out water in my ancient bottling bucket, lift it, and dump it into the keggle, I think he realized how nice it was.

I LOVE my sight glass (and it is one of Bobby's).

I got mine from bargain fittings when they used to sell them, very similar design to Bobby's.

But, after seeing the way Bobby's attach the tube to the tee, the larger tube, and the vinyl stickers that come with it, I wish I'd gone with Bobby's. I might have to order that sticker set, that's a nice detail.

Good Job, Bobby! You've really taken these to the next level. How does that polycarbonate hold up? I've always wanted to do glass but I saw the trouble you had and i'd be worried about it cracking. Would you say polycarb is a pretty good substitute? FWIW, I'd be using it in an electric rig, so I assume it'd be a little easier on the tube....

After reading this thread I just ordered the site glass\thermometer it from Bobby. Peer pressure has always been my downfall. :)

I wish they figured out how to make borosilicate glass soft like polycarbonate tubing. The tubing will last forever on an electric rig, and slightly less than forever on a flame fired kettle as long as it's not overheated every brew day. I always suggest assessing the situation after it's installed by putting a handheld thermo just under the fitting to see if you're hitting over 230F or so. If so, a heat shield is a great idea not only to keep the tubing safe but also keep from boiling in the tube.

Buy Bobby's. I have read about problems with the Blichmanns not holding true on their calibration.....I have three now and just verified this....the hard way. My last three out of four brews on my new Blichmann/Brutus system got stuck at 1.020. Three of the four used different yeast (dry, smack packs with starters, etc). I just started a brew and needed to use my Oregon wireless digital thermometers. Found out my Blichmann on the Mash Tun was almost 10 degrees off to the cool side. So my mash was over 160* on those other batches. Got to looking while calibrating them...again, and saw the dial hand was resting on the face plate. Tap, tap and it lets go and shoots up 10 degrees.

I happened on this post via a search on the Blichamann Thermo's. I want to remove them now and use my probes from the Oregon in its place. Need to find a post on thermowells I guess.

Back