Critique my Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
First attempt at the style, all help welcome.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.7 %
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 18.2 %
5.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.2 %
5.6 oz Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
4.8 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.7 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 12.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml]

I assume given the yeast and wheat percentages you mean Dunkelweizen not Munich Dunkel. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be accurate.

Looks like it should be good. Medium IBUs decent color(20SRM) healthy ABV(6.5%). I don't have experience with special B but the dark fruit(dates, figs, etc) character on the grainprofile might not be what you're looking for once the yeast add their character to the beer. That's not to say it will taste bad, but if you're trying to follow the BJCP style guides to the letter you might want to focus on grains that accentuate the grainy bready charcter, or try and get the yeast to express themselves through optimizing pitch rate and fermentation temps. On the other hand if you want your own twist on a dunkelweizen jot down the flavours you're looking to have in your beer. Often times once you get your flavor profile where you think you want it the recipes almost make themselves.

I'd keep the crystal in there. I recently made a dunkelweizen that was
Code:
3 Gallons 4.6% ABV, 14 IBU, 17SRM
German Wheat 62%
German Pils     25%
Munich 20      12%
Midnight wheat  2%

0.4 Hallertau @ 45
0.25 Hallertau @15

In my opinion it was a bit dry, when I make it again I might add some crystal in, there's also the option of just mashing a bit higher to get a little more malt to it. Since wheats are quick fermenters and pretty easy drinking you might even consider doing a split batch. Mash without the crystal and then put a gallon or half the batch in a separate pot and add the crystal malts while it comes to a boil. If you have the equipment and space I think it'd be worth the extra hassle.

I agree that you might not want to get rid of all the crystal. You might consider replacing it with Caramunich to add to the Munich malt character and body without those dark fruit notes or more caramel sorts of crystal flavor. Once the yeast gets a hold of it, though, the difference between C-40 and Caramunich is probably going to be negligible. :)

So, maybe I will add a touch of CaraMunich.. This is what I am looking at now..

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 1 46.6 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 25.4 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 21.2 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 %
4.8 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.5 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 12.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml]

Hows that look?

That looks like a nice recipe man. I'm doing a dunkelweizen in a couple weeks with Munich and wheat being the base grains, no pils. I've seen recipes with both, interested to see how this one turns out. One thing on the yeast, make sure you do that good starter and good temp control. I like these yeasts around 63-65 when I make regular hefs.

PS, I'd mash no higher than 155... Just me though.

So, 155 it is. As per the yeast, my vial was old, way way old, so I started w a 1.8L starter and going to bump it tonight/tomorrow am w another 1L. Thinking I am going to have to swamp cooler this batch since it is running around 70-71 in my basement, ambient. I was thinking of pitching at 60 and letting the yeast warm it up, sound good?

I could always dump the pils and split the difference in Munich and Wheat?

Temp sounds good. For the grains it's up to you. Pils will take away from some of the biscuity a flavor and a little of the body... Either way I don't think you'll go wrong.

Yeah, I agree with the Pils comment, out of wheat though and no LHBS, so I will roll with this bill for now, maybe toss in some flaked wheat for good measure?

So I brewed this and its been on gas for a few days, and it is ok, a little thin and the Color/appearence is ugly! I know wires beers are cloudy but this is almost muddy/cloudy, any ideas?

Yours can't look too much worse than mine pre-ferment.
Dunkelweizen Like you said Hefe's and Dunkelweizens are supposed to be cloudy with yeast. Beyond that it could be chill haze. But don't be discouraged by any mudpuddle color your beer may have. Just adjust the dark malts next time.
What was the grain bill you ended up going with?

Back