The brain and Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note researchers have recently been persuing the idea that alchol protects victims of head trama from permanent brain injury. And of course alcohol is often used following surgery for pain relief. In poisonings, alcohol is often used to nutralize the toxins at the liver. And recently it has been thought that moderate alcohol consumption may prevent Alzheimers. All in all, at least beer and wine seems pretty healthy. A beer or two a day may keep the doctor away.

Genghis77 said:
On another note researchers have recently been persuing the idea that alchol protects victims of head trama from permanent brain injury. And of course alcohol is often used following surgery for pain relief. In poisonings, alcohol is often used to nutralize the toxins at the liver. And recently it has been thought that moderate alcohol consumption may prevent Alzheimers. All in all, at least beer and wine seems pretty healthy. A beer or two a day may keep the doctor away.

alcohol is a very well known and effective analgesic. I'm feeling NO pain right as we speak. :drunk:

i like when I make plans for the following days and weeks.

of course i don't remember the plans, but for some reason people usually hold me to them... (insert stupid dumbfounded face here)

Not for me, I prefer to get dummerer and dubmer as time gooooos bi.:rockin:

Besides, I am already married with kids, I dont have anyone to impress anymore.

Beermaker said:
Not for me, I prefer to get dummerer and dubmer as time gooooos bi.:rockin:

Besides, I am already married with kids, I dont have anyone to impress anymore.

yeah, until your Frau gets sick of the dumb act.

I think mine is as we speak.

I thought that white matter (mylenated neurons) couldnt regenerate because the oligodendrocytes dont form neurilemma and they also dont proliferate like schwann cells do of the PNS?

Torben Ulrich said:
I thought that white matter (mylenated neurons) couldnt regenerate because the oligodendrocytes dont form neurilemma and they also dont proliferate like schwann cells do of the PNS?

You are absolutely correct!!!

White matter can regenerate. Gray matter cannot.

Hmm..

any myelin producing cell can regenerate and for Myelin. Unfortunately, it may not be like the myelin that it's replacing. Hence the problems faced by people with Multiple Sclerosis. (I'm an MS patient).

Biermann said:
Hmm..

any myelin producing cell can regenerate and for Myelin. Unfortunately, it may not be like the myelin that it's replacing. Hence the problems faced by people with Multiple Sclerosis. (I'm an MS patient).

Isnt MS from the myelin sheath dying, and leaving scars (sclerosis) that block messages from being trasmitted to muscles?

The way I learned about neuron regeneration is that the schwann cell tube sheaths in the PNS will act as a guide for the regenerating axon eventually leading to the former connection being reestablished. But in the CNS oligodendrocytes produce myelin but dont form the neurilemma so when an injured axon regenerates it has no guide and chances are slim that it will 'find' its original attachment.

Something like that...

Torben Ulrich said:
Isnt MS from the myelin sheath dying, and leaving scars (sclerosis) that block messages from being trasmitted to muscles?

The way I learned about neuron regeneration is that the schwann cell tube sheaths in the PNS will act as a guide for the regenerating axon eventually leading to the former connection being reestablished. But in the CNS oligodendrocytes produce myelin but dont form the neurilemma so when an injured axon regenerates it has no guide and chances are slim that it will 'find' its original attachment.

Something like that...

Yeah, more or less. that's why some MS patient'e have lasting symptoms. The "connection" isn't made properly, and the healing process leaves a "scar", hence the term "multiple (many)" "sclerosis (scars)".

I've been fortunate, as I have had few lasting symptoms.

Back