I need your input...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post on here :ban:. I have been reading the forums for the past 2 weeks getting lots of GREAT tips and advice from you guys, and I need your input on something. I brewed my first batch of beer on 9/13 every thing worked great made a starter and the next morning it was bubbling away. The OG was 1.042 and I took a reading 3 days ago and it was at 1.020. It has stayed at 1.020 for the past 3 days the kit says that the FG should be somewhere around 1.010-1.012.

Here is my question. I spoke with a local HB shop and told them everything above. They told me to go ahead and rack to my secondary and it would start to ferment again. Should I do this? What other options do I have? I don't want a weak sweet tasting beer, and I would prefer not to re-pitch. Thanks again for a great resource for home brewing!!

BTW: The kit I am using is from Midwest. Autumn Amber Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

What temperature is the fermenter at? I'm just curious because if the temperature dropped for some reason and got too cold, the yeast may have gone into "hibernation" (i can't remember what the specific term is).

It stays anywhere from 69-75 Fahrenheit. I have not taken a reading directly from the fermenter, that is the room temperature. Do you think it got too cold? The first day it was bubbling away and I could feel heat on the sides for the plastic bucket. But after 24hrs the bubbling stopped and it was no longer warm.

I've made a lot of Midwest's kits and I'm sorry to say that the Munton's yeast they use in them usually stall about 1.020. Racking may get you a few more points.

Midwest's kits are great except for the Munton's yeast. :(

Welcome to HBT!

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum! What would be the pro's and con's if I re-pitch or just rack to secondary. How would doing one or the other affect the flavor? I have plenty of beer to get drunk ;) I would just like to try and get the best flavor.

I also like Midwest, would you recommend upgrading the yeast with what they offer?

You could try a better yeast like Nottingham but once a brew is stalled like that there may not be much more you can do.

OTOH, before I got smarter :p, I bottled many a Munton's brew at that gravity. Just make sure by swirling your primary or racking that it's not going to go any lower.

Do you think this stall will affect my bottling? I do not have a keg and I have to carbonate by bottles.

give it a little swirl, then let it sit for another week or two. I would let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and not use a secondary, I'm not sure why moving to secondary now would get your yeast going again rather than just stirring your primary a bit.

Do a search on here for Muntons, you'll get some input on the strain and you can decide on future batches if you would like to use it again.

I use Nottingham and S-05 often, and for the type of beer that I like, it finishes nice and crisp.

I would give my bucket a nice, gentle shake once or twice a day for two or three days. Then let it be for another week after that. Take another hydrometer reading and see if you came down a bit more.
remember that .020 is still going to be a nice drinkable beer, perhaps a little maltier than what you expected, but it will be fine.

OK, so I come home today and went to take another reading. Low and behold I see a layer of foam on top of my beer. Which was not their last few times, only the ring of krausen stuck to the sides was visable. I took the reading and it was below 1.020 :mug:. I must have stirred up the yeast when had been taking my readings over the past 3 days. Thanks guys for all your input and help. I am going to let this thing set for at least another week. What do they say for noobs like me RDWHAHB!

Thanks
Paul

Hey I just wanted you guys to know that i am almost at 1.010 which is spot on for my FG :ban:. Thanks again for all you help!

Back