Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Erik

Reaction score
Posted: 20 October 2004 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Big Erik
Last weekend I bottled a beer kit and then proceeded to make another. When I was adding the sugar I realized to my horror that I had primed the freshly bottled batch with a full kg of sugar ( 7 cups instead of 1.5). So this is what I did after cursing myself soundly, I opened all 65 bottles and used them to start another kit -by using the over primed beer instead of water and keeping everthing else the same minus the sugar. ------- What do you think? will it work? :confused:

Big Erik said:
Posted: 20 October 2004 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Big Erik
Last weekend I bottled a beer kit and then proceeded to make another. When I was adding the sugar I realized to my horror that I had primed the freshly bottled batch with a full kg of sugar ( 7 cups instead of 1.5). So this is what I did after cursing myself soundly, I opened all 65 bottles and used them to start another kit -by using the over primed beer instead of water and keeping everthing else the same minus the sugar. ------- What do you think? will it work? :confused:

I think it will be alright, especially if you gave the whole lot a good boil, like 30 mins or so. How did you go about the hops? Is your kit prehopped? You will probably be better off substituting the sugar in the kit recipe with dried malt extract. You'll probably want to combine your beer kit malt extract and dried malt extract to a total of 3 kgs (6 to 7lbs) this will give much fuller tasting beer.

Good luck, hope to hear how you go!

Happy homebrewing!

Rahbek said:
I think it will be alright, especially if you gave the whole lot a good boil, like 30 mins or so. How did you go about the hops? Is your kit prehopped? You will probably be better off substituting the sugar in the kit recipe with dried malt extract. You'll probably want to combine your beer kit malt extract and dried malt extract to a total of 3 kgs (6 to 7lbs) this will give much fuller tasting beer.

Good luck, hope to hear how you go!

Happy homebrewing!

My kit is for 23 litres and is in a syrup form that I add hot water to and yeast.
I use a process with good results called dry hopping. Hops are added directly to the primary without boiling the wort. Then just before bottling I add a heading powder, then let the bottles sit and voila! very consumable beer. Right now I am getting good fermentation from my hybrid batch. Good idea with the malt extract ,however I already had enough sugar ( the problem ). Im thinking that I won't find out till I drink it. Is it possible that because of the two fermentations that I will have a high alcohol content beer?

I was under the impression that alcohol in a higher concentration can adversely affect yeast. I would worry about the alcohol that is already present and being furher produced having an effect on your fermentation. Anybody know about this? You will most definately have a higher alcohol content beer in the end so this may be a concern for you near the end of your second fermentation - but maybe not ;-) Hope it comes out well for you!

I would have left them in the bottle then made another batch to offset the mistakes you made the first time and then mixed them after boiling the second batch.

In brewing, 2 opposites (wrongs) can make a good brew (right) when mixed.

I think you might have trouble getting it to ferment right out. This might leave unfermented sugars in the bottles and cause them to explode. Just check your final gravity. If it is normal then you might get away with it. The problem is that normal brewing yeasts don't like too much alcohol and they stop fermenting. I think you need to use a wine yeast to be able to ferment to high alcohol levels.

JEM Australia said:
I think you might have trouble getting it to ferment right out. This might leave unfermented sugars in the bottles and cause them to explode. Just check your final gravity. If it is normal then you might get away with it. The problem is that normal brewing yeasts don't like too much alcohol and they stop fermenting. I think you need to use a wine yeast to be able to ferment to high alcohol levels.

I hear Champagne yeast is good for that too....I think I used Nottingham yeast for my Imperial Stout....I think it fared OK....

Back