Brewmasters bible HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
Hey all, I just moved and the people that I am living with want me to do a brew with them. They like stouts so I got all of the ingredients to make the stout (quaker stout?) on approx page 178 of the brewmasters bible (the one right before the "oatmeal stout"), BUT my book is now packed away in another house and I can't get to it! Could somebody please post the brew schedule for me? That would be most most excellent.

Mike.

I was unimpressed with the Brewmasters's Bible, especially the recipes. The instructions are inconsistent, incomplete, and sometimes don't make sense.

That said, here's what you need. The recipe is as written (just shortened because I'm lazy). I'd never make it the way it's written, BTW.

3/4 lb english crystal
1/2 lb chocolate
1/4 lb black patent
1/2 lb roasted barley
3/4 lb rolled oats
6 lb amber bulk LME
2 lb English dark dry malt extract
1/2 stick of brewer's licorice
1 oz centennial (boiling)
1 oz Willamette (boiling)
1 oz Willamette (finishing)
Edme dry ale yeast or Irish ale liquid yeast (make starter)
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

1) Bag up the oats. Bag up the grains in a separate bag and put both in your boil kettle with 2 to 2.5 gallons. Bring this to a boil, then remove the grains. Allow the oats to boil for 10 minutes.

(this looks like a terrible idea, BTW)

2) Rinse the bag of grains with 1 qt hot tap water into the kettle. Rinse the oats with 2 cups cold water into the brew kettle, then squeeze it into the kettle.

3) Take your kettle off the heat and add 6 lb LME, 2 lb DME, and the licorice.

4) When the kettle comes to a boil, add the boiling hops (Centennial and 1 oz Willamette).

5) After 10 minutes of boiling, remove 2 cups of wort, cover it with foil, and allow it to cool to 90 F.

6) If using dry yeast, sprinkle the yeast onto 1/2 cup of 90-100 F tap water. Cover for 15 minutes, then add to the cooled wort from above. If using the liquid yeast, make a starter according to the yeast package.

7) After the wort has boiled for 60 minutes, add the finishing hops (the other oz of Willamette).

8) Boil for 5 minutes longer.

9) Cool the wort using your preferred method.

10) Strain the wort into your fermenter, then top off with cold water to 5.5 gallons.

11) Pitch yeast.

---

If I was making this, I'd use a decent steep (all the grain in one bag) in 2 gallons - like 30 minutes at 150-155F, then rinse it with another gallon. Boil as much as you can fit in your kettle; you may need to adjust your hops to avoid over bittering.

More importantly, cool the wort properly before pouring it. It's safer and easier to cool 3 gallons than 5.

I don't know if you can still find Edme dry yeast; choose the dry yeast of your choice.

Good luck!

Thanks! You pretty much paralleled my thoughts here too. I flashed though the ingredients at the LHBS and thought it would appeal to my friends here. I glanced at the schedule but thought i had misread the part about boiling the grain sack. Apparently not. I also bought less hops for the brew as well, to adjust for the people who wanted the beer....

Anywho, Thanks a bunch!

~M~

Back