green tea wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Hey yall, think it would taste good? I was drinking tazo zen (which has lemongrass and mint as well I think) and realized the taste would prob go great with a wheat beer.

I'm gonna test it out first and then the plan is to do a partial boil using very concentrated tazo zen instead of water. otherwise gonna use the basic wheatbeer recipe from homebrewing for dummies (i'd post it now but I need to get it from the library).

Any advice or suggestions? like if you have a better recipe to follow (that would work with green tea) or a spice you think would compliment it, or really anything, post it here.

Thanks.

No specific recipes but I think it sounds great! Green tea gets especially bitter if it steeps too long so boiling it might be excessively bitter. You could try dry-hopping with some green tea leaves or maybe add some concentrate after the boil. Not sure if the concentrate would have any unwanted chemicals that could further alter the flavor.

Good Luck!

Will be looking forward to seeing the results...

i wash thinking about doing something with green tea also. let me know what recipe you are using, i would love to try this on my own as well!

try it out! add a little of that tea to your morning hef!

what? you guys dont drink your wheat beer in the morning?

Unhealthy? its got a lemon in it sheesh!

If the tea leaves add bitterness, maybe you don't even want to add hops. I know, I know... sacreligious....

I've done a green tea beer before and the tea flavor only lasts about 2 weeks if you bottle. It goes away with age and your are left with a bland tasting beer. I made the tea 1st(steeping the tea bags) then made the wort. I chilled both then combined in the carboy. I guess it all depends on how you make it. Good luck tho!

I just made a rooibos kolsch. Steeped about 2 oz in the last of the boil, and im going to steep more before i bottle to have it pack a bigger punch, i'll let you know how it turns out.

well as of 2 hours ago, its all in the bucket. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and hopefully the flavor will last more than 2 weeks. I wouldn't think I'd necessarily be left with a bland beer, since even without the tea flavor it would still be a decent wheat.

you may (or someone) want to try using matcha instead of actual green tea leaves. its green tea powder and used for making other green tea flavored items.

i looked for quite a while for some to make green tea ice cream. it was hard to find at local chicago asian grocery stores. i finally found some in the grocery store in the chinese cultural center in phoenix.

ordering some off the internet would prob be best

I've done a green tea beer before and the tea flavor only lasts about 2 weeks if you bottle. It goes away with age and your are left with a bland tasting beer. I made the tea 1st(steeping the tea bags) then made the wort. I chilled both then combined in the carboy. I guess it all depends on how you make it. Good luck tho!

Ok everyone, it's done now. Here's the scoop.

Used 3.5 gallons of water for the wort, and 2 for the tea. I used tazo zen, which also has mint and lemongrass in addition I believe. I did not make an especially strong tea, bringing the water to a boil and then turning off the heat and putting in one box's worth of teabags immediately after the boil died.

The result is extremely pleasing, with a very subtle taste of green tea. It is also especially alcoholic, although that may be due to me using less water. The tea makes all gravity readings go way up, by the way.

In retrospect, I would recommend using maybe about a half a box more of green tea. It's really not expensive and it complements the flavor very well. I would also love to try to make a green tea lager, and maybe use a little peppermint schnapps for half of the priming sugar.

While I am at it, I'd also recommend a cream ale primed with peach schnapps. Cause I'm drinking it right now and I am blown away. Also try an american brown and add a half pound of blonde candi sugar, and then dry hop it. Take my advice for whatever you will, I'm a novice brewer but I've tried many a beer and those all are amazing.

Back