How much honey to add to my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-rags

Reaction score
I've got some fresh unpasteurized juice with an OG of about 1.045. I think that gives me a final estimated alcohol content of 6 percent or so. I am going to do a 3 gallon batch and would like to raise the OG to about 1.065 -- final alcohol content to 8 to 9 percent max. Any suggestions on how much honey to use to achieve this (ballpark). I was estimating about 1/3 of a 5 pound jar (say about 1.5 pounds). Thanks for your help!

Yes, using the trusty spreadsheet found in the FAQ's. If you just just below 3gal of cider, just around 1.5 lbs or 2 cups of honey should get you to 8% ABV.

SG V (C) V (Gal) Lbs
Honey 1.4171 2.03 0.127 1.50
Cider 1.0450 45.0 2.813
Vt 47.03 2.94
OG 1.061
FG (est): 1.000
Alcohol: 8.1% ABV

Thanks, but where do I find the FAQ? It's not a sticky in the cider section. I went to the FAQ link at the top, and it takes me to a search function, but then nothing comes up when I type "cider" or "honey". ?

The faq they are referring too is in the mead section. Which you might want to check out since you are on your way to make a cyser, or apple based mead.

Back