pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
I have a wheat brew has been in a primary for one week now. I will be adding 3 pounds of dried fig to the secondary. is it possible to add dry pectic enzyme at this point? Directions say, add before the start of fermentation. add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon or 1/10 teaspoon per pound of fruit. Should I add per gallon or per pound of fruit??? I was going to pasteurized the figs in water, then let it cool. can I add pectic enzyme here? Or should I add after I rack off the fruit? I have never worked with fig, but I have read they are a high in pectin, so I figured it would be good to use. Thank you for any help! -- Lee

I'm sure it will be just fine if you add it now. Don't boil your fruit or you'll do exactly what you're trying to prevent. Soak it in water + campden tablets or use vodka.

hey thanks phiss,

But I wasn't gonna boil. I was going to keep the fruit at 170F for about 20. I also was unsure if the pectic enzyme could handle the high temp. Or just put it in when it cools?

Pectic enzyme denatures at about 155° I believe, and you can't pasteurize below that. Still, I'd just soak the fruit in vodka or water + campden tablets overnight. I have no idea at what temp pectin starts to gel, but since heating it can be avoided, I wouldn't do it.

Regardless of if you use campden or vodka, after soaking the fruit in it, you pour the liquid out. Campden water goes down the drain and the "spent" vodka goes down your throat.

Back