Southwest Airlines Rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing a fist-pump in their honor right now! WOOOOOT! (though, I gotta say, I still like lufthansa the best...their ham bretzel sammich is yummy, and their whole "unlimited free drinks" policy is, well, the tits...especially when you're traveling all day long!)

That's a tough call. One kid is autistic and one has cerebral palsy. I don't if I can root for kicking them off, but I do know I wouldn't want to be on the plane with them. Either way, SW Airlines is going to take **** for this...

Tough call, my ass. Why should anyone have to put up with that madness just because the kids have disorders? If I had tourette's syndrome and chronic seizures, should I be allowed in the movie theater, screaming and blurting out obscenities and flailing around, just because I'm "disabled"? No.

Tough call, my ass. Why should anyone have to put up with that madness just because the kids have disorders? If I had tourette's syndrome and chronic seizures, should I be allowed in the movie theater, screaming and blurting out obscenities and flailing around, just because I'm "disabled"? No.

we'd still let you post here, just not on chat :D

Movie theaters are always avoidable, sometimes air travel isn't. I don't have an issue with SW keeping them off the flight, but I'm not going to cheer for it. I make an effort to not walk on eggshells with most of society, but people (moreso kids) with mental disorders are another story...

Sweet - about time.
I wonder how many times she has been contacted by lawyers?

Prolly about 100+. That's what makes America great, the ability to sue some company for your own stupidity, laziness, ignorance, lack of responsibility, tact, and consideration for others because it can't be your fault.

Movie theaters are always avoidable, sometimes air travel isn't. I don't have an issue with SW keeping them off the flight, but I'm not going to cheer for it. I make an effort to not walk on eggshells with most of society, but people (moreso kids) with mental disorders are another story...

I travel 100,000+ miles a year and pay big bucks for tickets. I'll cheer the airlines. Personally, I think the folks embellished on how handicapped their kids are for sympathy sake. It's not working. The same goes for flying without a dollar in their pocket. For that brood, they could have rented a car and driven for less and everyone would have been happier (except the guy who cleans the rental cars).

I have to fly a lot also. I can handle the babies crying and kids getting restless as long as the parents are trying. Most often though, the kids that are the worst are the ones with the parents that are busy listening to their I-Pod, watching a movie on laptop or just plane staring out the window. I've actually seen parents put their kids in the isle and go to sleep.

I think disabled people should be accommodated whenever possible, but I also think that it's the parents' responsibility to keep disruptions to other travelers to a minimum. All it would have taken for them it to go to their doctor and get a sedative to use for the flights, and everything would have been ok. But some people insist to share their misfortune with the rest of the world to the fullest extent possible, and for that I do not have any respect whatsoever.

I travel 100,000+ miles a year and pay big bucks for tickets. I'll cheer the airlines. Personally, I think the folks embellished on how handicapped their kids are for sympathy sake. It's not working. The same goes for flying without a dollar in their pocket. For that brood, they could have rented a car and driven for less and everyone would have been happier (except the guy who cleans the rental cars).

Well since we have no way of knowing if they embellished, I can't comment on that. If I had mentally disabled kids and I was denied passage, I'd raise hell in any way possible. If I was an irresponsible and lazy parent with obnoxious and inconsiderate kids, I would not complain. I'm not gonna assume which category they're in...

I agree it's a tough call.

Maybe it doesn't matter but, the article makes no mention about "why" the family was traveling by air. It does raise the question of "How should the mentally disabled be accomodated on public transit?".

What if the purpose for the flight was to seek medical assistance? Does that change the perceived need for the flight and the threshold of tolerance? as opposed to a weekend jaunt to visit the family.

For me I suppose it would depend on the actions of guardians. Were they making any attempts to control the children or were they just letting them do as they will.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why a parent would allow a child to kick the seat in front of him or put his feet up and push for hours on a flight. It's beyond comprehension that these inconsiderate irresponsible excuses for parents are allowed to fly with their uncontrollable spawn.

Sorry, but when I flew with my children, they behaved on flights. When they were babies, my wife did everything to keep them quite during take off and landing when the pressure changes on their ears.

There's so many inconsiderate a-hole excuse for parents flying today. They are very easy to spot and they get no sympathy from me.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why a parent would allow a child to kick the seat in front of him or put his feet up and push for hours on a flight. It's beyond comprehension that these inconsiderate irresponsible excuses for parents are allowed to fly with their uncontrollable spawn.

Sorry, but when I flew with my children, they behaved on flights. When they were babies, my wife did everything to keep them quite during take off and landing when the pressure changes on their ears.

There's so many inconsiderate a-hole excuse for parents flying today. They are very easy to spot and they get no sympathy from me.

On the last flight I took to Malaysia we were on the 14 hour leg of the flight. There was one Mother, who despite her every effort, could not get her child to stop screaming. We all reckognized that she was trying her best but, it was still miserable.

Nice fancy way to say parents don't parent anymore...and expect it from everywhere else.

To go slightly off topic, I feel this is the case with the video game industry...I wanna blow **** up, see some boobs here and there...but it sometimes doesn't happen because some parent, umm, forgot to parent and the kid has it....wtf?

/OT

I agree completely, assuming the disruptive children aren't mentally disabled...

On the last flight I took to Malaysia we were on the 14 hour leg of the flight. There was one Mother, who despite her every effort, could not get her child to stop screaming. We all reckognized that she was trying her best but, it was still miserable.

This is what comes to mind "The beatings will continue until moral improves"

I agree it's a tough call.

Maybe it doesn't matter but, the article makes no mention about "why" the family was traveling by air. It does raise the question of "How should the mentally disabled be accomodated on public transit?".

What if the purpose for the flight was to seek medical assistance? Does that change the perceived need for the flight and the threshold of tolerance? as opposed to a weekend jaunt to visit the family.

For me I suppose it would depend on the actions of guardians. Were they making any attempts to control the children or were they just letting them do as they will.

Since when was air travel "public transportation"? Which government agency owns and operates Southwest Airlines? Heh, we have this jaded notion that flying is public transport because we've all been so f*cking willing to hand over our rights in exchange for some illusion of safety. News flash...just because the *****ebags of Homeland Stupidity set up shop at the gates with their guns and x-ray vision doesn't mean that Southwest Airlines is "public transportation".

Secondly, as EdWort notes above, regardless of how much effort the parents made to control the kids, the fact is that they were making a mess of the plane, running around when the fasten seatbelt light was on (dangerous not only to them but to others), and creating a chaotic environment. Regardless of their disabilities, regardless of whether the parents get an "A for effort", the reality was that they were creating a disruptive and possibly dangerous atmosphere and the airline should be able to maintain discretion in such cases. There are other methods of travel, and if their disabilities really were that uncontrollable, then it's necessarily the case that the parents were irresponsible for hauling them onto a plane in the first place. There are always other options, including tranq drugs like Ed noted above.

I heard about this on the radio as I was driving in. I thought to myself, "About f'ing time!" You know the kids were unruly when the Mom "admits her kids were restless". And why would you board a flight with that many kids and no money? If you can't afford to travel, stay at home or find a cheaper way to get where you're going.

After I saw the video, it all became pretty clear. I'm betting good money that "we the people", are paying for this low-life, white trash woman and her family to live and breed. I had to agree with the second post on the local ABC affiliate's 'Comments' page:
...after one look at her and listening to her speak, a lot is explained. First of all, buy a bra. Second, stop breeding. Third, next time you book a flight from Detroit(?) to Washington, find a more direct route, dang! Phoenix must be THE most out of the way stop-over that I can think of, except Florida. All the comments on here just prove that we don't like that victim role... stand up and take some responsibility for YOUR kids and YOUR behavior!! (And as a snide remark, did anyone notice that the mother hit EVERY branch while falling out of the ugly tree???)...
I think she's looking for another hand-out.

I give my kids benadryl if we are going on a flight. Knocks those little buggers out cold for the duration

Pat McElroy disagrees. As a passenger on the flight with the Slaughter family, he told KIRO, “It was the flight from hell. I never experienced anything like it in all my years of flying.”

McElroy said the children kept moving around when the seatbelt sign was on. He also said the kids were shouting, going up and down the aisle being disruptive

OK, so if the kids have mental problems maybe I can understand the shouting, or some higher-than-usual amount of noise. But running up and down the aisle? Two adults and four kids...what's so hard about

Window seat: kid
Middle seat: kid
Aisle seat: adult
----------------
aisle
----------------

?

OK, so if the kids have mental problems maybe I can understand the shouting, or some higher-than-usual amount of noise. But running up and down the aisle? Two adults and four kids...what's so hard about

----------------
aisle
----------------

?

Exactamundo! Seatbelts too! A nylon zip tie would have helped over the buckle.

I heard about this on the radio as I was driving in. I thought to myself, "About f'ing time!" You know the kids were unruly when the Mom "admits her kids were restless". And why would you board a flight with that many kids and no money? If you can't afford to travel, stay at home or find a cheaper way to get where you're going.

After I saw the video, it all became pretty clear. I'm beeting good money that "we the people", are paying for this low-life, white trash woman and her family to live and breed. I had to agree with the second post on their 'Comments' page:

I think she's looking for another hand-out.

Where did you see video? I'll be able to better judge once I see them...

You also have to concider SW's liability in this. If the kid is even standing up in the isle and the plane hits some "dead air" the kid is going to hit the ceiling and really get hurt. Do you think the lady isn't going to sue? Maybe that's what she was hoping for?

Since when was air travel "public transportation"? Which government agency owns and operates Southwest Airlines? Heh, we have this jaded notion that flying is public transport because we've all been so f*cking willing to hand over our rights in exchange for some illusion of safety. News flash...just because the *****ebags of Homeland Stupidity set up shop at the gates with their guns and x-ray vision doesn't mean that Southwest Airlines is "public transportation".

Secondly, as EdWort notes above, regardless of how much effort the parents made to control the kids, the fact is that they were making a mess of the plane, running around when the fasten seatbelt light was on (dangerous not only to them but to others), and creating a chaotic environment. Regardless of their disabilities, regardless of whether the parents get an "A for effort", the reality was that they were creating a disruptive and possibly dangerous atmosphere and the airline should be able to maintain discretion in such cases. There are other methods of travel, and if their disabilities really were that uncontrollable, then it's necessarily the case that the parents were irresponsible for hauling them onto a plane in the first place. There are always other options, including tranq drugs like Ed noted above.

I was using the term "public" loosely. As opposed to a Private Charter which few of us could afford. And not in the sense that if it were Sate or Federally funded then the behavior should be tolerated.

Obviously this does not apply in this case but, say the flight were overseas in which road travel is not an option. Is your tolerance of children or the disabled so limited that in that scenario you still would not consider the efforts made by a guardian. Would you then require mandatory sedation? How else to accomodate the needs of these people?

To be clear, mine is not an attack on opinion. Simply a debate on Human rights and quality of life.

You also have to concider SW's liability in this. If the kid is even standing up in the isle and the plane hits some "dead air" the kid is going to hit the ceiling and really get hurt. Do you think the lady isn't going to sue? Maybe that's what she was hoping for?

That's the parents problem. Southwest is just as concerned about being sued by the customer when the kid lands on his head on his way down.

Bike-n-Brew has the solution, but both adults had no interest in maintaining control over 2 kids each.

Whew, yeah, I missed the video the first time too (yay Flashblock!) Ugh, that's just horrible. But worse than that is the whole "dey leff us strandid in da desert wit no moneys urr nuthin!" line. Really? You have enough money to book a flight for 6. Best case, you're looking at over $1500, roundtrip, for econ class. Yet you have "no money"? Really, you big fat ******, shut the f*ck up.

Geez, I just news footage of this incident. Even if those kids are disabled, they're small enough and she is LARGE enough to contain them. One of the passengers even mentions that the adults were more disruptive than the kids at times. The adults keep looking at the news camera whenever they go to hug one of the kids too. Total bull**** in this case...:mad:

Whew, yeah, I missed the video the first time too (yay Flashblock!) Ugh, that's just horrible. But worse than that is the whole "dey leff us strandid in da desert wit no moneys urr nuthin!" line. .

Now, think a moment, from where did she get that mentality?

Now, think a moment, from where did she get that mentality?

cheese.jpg

Latest posts

Back