I know . . . take a gravity reading, but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just hate taking a chance of infection if it's not necessary. My batch of Dude’s LWPA was in the primary for 11 days and now in the secondary for another 14 days at around 65 degrees with Wyeast 1272. I moved it to the kitchen (70-74 degrees) for transfer and now there is yeast activity (lots of movement) in the carboy. I’m not in a rush, so would it be safe to leave it at 72 degrees or should I go back to 65? I'm just worried because 72 degrees is at the top of the yeast’s temperature range. Will a few day there effect the taste or is it a good way to let it finish?

I'm guessing that it's not fermenting- that moving it to a warmer temperature is causing the co2 to come out of suspension. That's why you're seeing some bubbling. I wouldn't keep it at that warmer temperature, I'd put it back where I wanted it.

Thanks Yooper

Just a few bubbles wouldn't have bothered me, but there's a lot of solid stuff moving around. Chuncks coming from the bottom and moving up. I dry hopped with out a sack, but this looks more like yeast or trub then hops.

I was going to transfer last night, but got busy with work. It's been sitting at the warmer temperature for about 30 hours now. Do you think CO2 would be doing this for this length of time?

anoldur said:
Will a few day there effect the taste or is it a good way to let it finish?

Depends. You'll need to take a gravity reading to figure out how much fermentation is left to go.

why are you so concerned about contamination? take a reading without splashing to avoid aeration and as long as you're not sneezing into the bucket or letting mildew fall in, it should be fine. it only take a few seconds to grab a sample with a turkey baster-style sample taker (wine thief won't work on the trub very well.)

DeathBrewer wrote:
why are you so concerned about contamination?

Most of it is just about being lazy. I keep my fermenting carboys in the basement for temperature control, but I'm paranoid about taking readings down there because of the dampness and chance of mold. If I've made the effort to lug the thing upstairs, I hate the thought that it has to go back down (and then up again.)

The LWPA was at 1.010, so it’s now kegged. Green, but tasty. Looking forward to getting into it in a month or so. Thanks Dude!

Back