desperately seeking recipe for...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
Long Trail Double Bag. I tried the brewery directly and they would not divulge the ingredients. As best I can figure it is an Alt with about a 7.2% alchohol content. The stuff is pure bliss to drink in the winter.

Looking for an all-grain recepie. I figure it will require somewhere in the range of 14 lbs munich malt, with some specialty grains to give it a nice rich brown color. Totally stumped on the yeast and hops other than what ever might be standard for a german style alt/strong ale.

Anybody familiar with this brew who might have some input?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

btw--this is my first post on this board, which I just found today--nice site.

This is the best I can offer, I found it on another forum. This is going to be my next batch (extract, I don't have the equip. to to all grain yet)

I figure the more people trying this out, the better chance we have of getting a good recipe.

If you find another, please post.

=============================

I found your "Double Bag" sticke altbier online: (http://www.longtrail.com/foa_db.cfm)

Sticke is a version of a dusseldorf altbier, except it is stronger and has more hop flavor and aroma than altbier, and is often dryhopped. They say 7.2% and 25 IBU (?) for Double Bag, so here's what I would try (for an extract beer, 3 gallon boil, 5 gal. final volume):

6# munich LME (available from northern brewer)
3# amber or light DME
1# medium crystal, steeped

1 oz perle or Northern Brewer, 60 min
1 oz spalt, 60, 15 min., and dryhop

Use Wyeast 1007, make a starter and cold-condition in the secondary if you can. Other people like different yeasts (I like Wyeast 1338), but participators in this forum seem to like 1007 better. Also, authentic sticke tends to be a LOT more bitter than 25 IBUs. To make it more 'German' authentic, up the perle to 2 oz and add 2 or 3 oz spalt at 60 min instead of just 1 oz.

Back