What is it with spouses and brewing in the kitchen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
Once every coupla weeks, maybe a month or more, I have a brew session. The main heat source is the kitchen stove. It is BIAB - simple, right? One kettle. One sanitizing bucket. One bucket to receive the wort. A toolbox fulla brewing shtuf - thermometer, mash spoon, other junk.

WHY DO YOU HAVE STUFF ALL OVER THE KITCHEN? No one can move in here!

Huh? There is a one item on the stove. The buckets are in the next room until needed. I installed 23 ft of counter so one toolbox is not gonna clog up the works or anything.

And it is not like the Alternate Spousal Unit does that much cooking.:confused:

I own the kitchen so she who lives with me never bitches :)

Or to put it plain the girlfriend bitches far less than the wife did!

My g/f came in the other day and I had a skinned deer on my counter finishing butchering it. Never said a word, knows if she doesn't like what I do in my kitchen she is more than welcome to leave.

She brews so helps most of the time. Been way before we started dating since I've brewed in the house though.

All hell breaks loose when the hop additions go in when brewing on the stove. "You are making the whole house stink". What I thought smelled great, she is running with her nose covered bitching how its going to take days for the house to quit "stinking".

neo71665 said:
My g/f came in the other day and I had a skinned deer on my counter finishing butchering it. Never said a word, knows if she doesn't like what I do in my kitchen she is more than welcome to leave.

She brews so helps most of the time. Been way before we started dating since I've brewed in the house though.

Omg! If I came home to that there would be favors for months!

It just got a lot tougher to be a deer.

My wife has come home to me washing tiller parts in the bathtub, and the tiller apart in the living room. Brewing in the kitchen is tame.

She does think it smells like rabbit food though.

And brewing outside is easier.

All hell breaks loose when the hop additions go in when brewing on the stove. "You are making the whole house stink". What I thought smelled great, she is running with her nose covered bitching how its going to take days for the house to quit "stinking".

yep thats my wife.. so now i brew out in the garage. i do have a plate chiller only bad thing is when i am finished i have to bring everything downstairs to clean and to ferment

What kind of favors should I ask for? I also raise beef and butcher those, do I get the same or more for that? I just don't want her to expect favors when she kills a deer since I butcher it for her.

<snip>
My wife has come home to me washing tiller parts in the bathtub, and the tiller apart in the living room.
<snip>
And brewing outside is easier.

I've come home before and she had the aluminum heads off her drag car on the coffee table lashing the valves. Only complaint I got was my tractor I was rebuilding was taking up the workbench in the shop, lol.

Brewing in the family brew shed next door is easier as long as dad has beer to drink at the time.

neo71665 said:
What kind of favors should I ask for? I also raise beef and butcher those, do I get the same or more for that? I just don't want her to expect favors when she kills a deer since I butcher it for her.

I've come home before and she had the aluminum heads off her drag car on the coffee table lashing the valves. Only complaint I got was my tractor I was rebuilding was taking up the workbench in the shop, lol.

Brewing in the family brew shed next door is easier as long as dad has beer to drink at the time.

Whatever you are into! Btw your wife sounds awesome.

Well, for as long as I can remember some men (many men) have made it a point to jokingly or with some seriousness claim the kitchen is where their women belong. So with that, I have to assume it is reasonable to expect a woman to defend her territory. :D /sarcasm

But really, I'm a fan of "just clean it up when you're done" and leaving it at that. Even that doesn't have to be said unless you're a moron, which I doubt you are. I don't think I've ever claimed any room my own and if I came home to a man brewing in my kitchen, I would be thrilled and impressed since brewing efficiently on my stove is nearly impossible.

Whatever you are into! Btw your wife sounds awesome.

Long time girlfriend not wife and Ive tried. Yeah she's something, special or special ed for putting up with me this long. I joke she just using me for the shop to work on her camaro cause I keep stomping her tail in my nova.

Long time girlfriend not wife and Ive tried. Yeah she's something, special or special ed for putting up with me this long. I joke she just using me for the shop to work on her camaro cause I keep stomping her tail in my nova.

Ah... a bow tie family...
and what's the difference between long term girlfriend and wife anyway? piece of paper if you ask me!

I've never even had the option to brew inside as my range is electric and can't handle an AG full boil. It's just easier to brew it outside in the garage. Only time that sucks is during the summer when it's 95 degrees out. But we do what we must for our beer right?

My fiancée hates the smell of brewing, but with Montana winter coming on, she's going to be THRILLED when I brew inside on the stove instead of outside. In an apartment, so doing it in a garage isn't an option.

I've never even had the option to brew inside as my range is electric and can't handle an AG full boil. It's just easier to brew it outside in the garage. Only time that sucks is during the summer when it's 95 degrees out. But we do what we must for our beer right?

Wonder if that;s better or worse than brewing in winter when it's 20 degrees out...
Admittedly, that is better for cooling... just leave it outside for a few minutes...

I hate you. Deeply and sincerely. I might have to schedule time over the next few days to properly hate you.

I'm actually considering laying down a mat of plastic and bringing my Mustang engine into my computer room for a winter rebuild. This has nothing to do with the wife though. I'm not stupid enough to do this in the other parts of the house...

Homercidal said:
I'm actually considering laying down a mat of plastic and bringing my Mustang engine into my computer room for a winter rebuild. This has nothing to do with the wife though. I'm not stupid enough to do this in the other parts of the house...

Sounds logical!

Back