Setting up corney kegs at a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watergod

Reaction score
Made two 5gallon batches of beer for a friends birthday party that's coming up soon but I'm not sure what the best way to set them up at his house is. My original thought was to just stand the kegs up in an ice chest full of ice and place the Co2 bottle behind the ice chest but I'm not sure if the beer will be cold enough. The ice chest I have is not very deep, should I use a deeper container? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I use an old bottling bucket. Dropped in the corny, surrounded with ice, and wrapped the whole thing in a towel. The top will be sticking out, but the beer is being drawn from the bottom, so you will still get cold beer. Make sure your serving line is long enough to prevent foaming, and also, try to set the keg up a couple of hours before the party so it will have a chance to settle out any sediment that kicks up due to being moved. Have fun!

Good idea, wow I didn't think about stirring up the sediment during transport! Thanks for that! I thought about using a couple of brewing buckets but wasn't sure if there would be enough room for ice.

Yep, agree on taking the beer over early. I usually take it over in the morning for parties later in the day. You can use lots of different things to put it in. I've done the large party type tubs and then 12" buckets like paul said. I kind of like the smaller buckets better because they take up less space and you can easily secure the c02 tank to the side with some twine or a small bungie. The beer stays plently cold with a small amount of ice around the sides.

What kind of beer did you brew for it?

tknice said:
Yep, agree on taking the beer over early. I usually take it over in the morning for parties later in the day. You can use lots of different things to put it in. I've done the large party type tubs and then 12" buckets like paul said. I kind of like the smaller buckets better because they take up less space and you can easily secure the c02 tank to the side with some twine or a small bungie. The beer stays plently cold with a small amount of ice around the sides.

What kind of beer did you brew for it?

I brewed an Arrogant Bastard clone and a Orange Wheat for the girly men at the party.. Lol

I've used those rubbermaid storage totes a few times. They work well if it's not too hot (since there's no insulation). Someone on here did that and made a picnic tap holder out of a few pieces of wood. One vertical on each side and then a horizontal one across the top to put the taps through and add some labels. Simple and functional.

it's also not a bad idea to jump the keg to a clean keg before you drive it anywhere. Chill it down first and pull off a bit to get it flowing clear then a simple jump hose and transfer under pressure leaves all the trub and sediment behind.

I did the beer for a buddies wedding last summer and had 7 clean, transfered kegs to fill a 4 keg keezer. The clean kegs were kept on ice until one in the keezer kicked then I dropped the new keg in, pulled until it flowed and disco, we were back in business. I had magnetic "tents" describing each beer and just put it above the appropriate tap when I changed kegs.

It was super slick and I'm still hearing compliments about the beer and setup. Fun.

I'm drinking an Irish Stout out of the same keezer (now in my basement) right now. :)

BSD

BSD

The ice bucket ideas will work fine. That's what I've been doing, and it works out well. I'm planning on building a jockey box in the very near future though.

Back