Low attenuation, add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklojay

Reaction score
Made a black IPA on the 1/15 with an OG of 1.074. Used East Coast Yeast's Old Neward Ale (harvested from Simcoe APA) that has an attenuation of 68%-72%.

Gravity has been stuck at 1.024 (two pts short of 68%) for the past week. The slurry I harvested was kind of small (between 100 and 125 ml) and I didn't make a starter (I know shame on me).

Anyway should I rack to the secondary or add the packet of safale-05 I have in the fridge...would it be worth it? Thanks

Is it too cold? I had one stuck at 1.024 for 7 days or so, 3 week since brew day. Temp was 65. Then yesterday I noticed airlock activity. Temp was up to 68.

give it a swirl and raise the temps up to 68-70* wait two weeks and see where you are at. no need to panic just yet.

Warm it up, and do not under any circumstances transfer to secondary until it is ready for dry hops... Secondary is bad practice, just read the thousand posts about the topic.

Back