Keezer or Refrigerator conversion to Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbsdaddy

Reaction score
I need help on deciding what to do. I already have a chest freezer and a stand up fridge with freezer on top. I really want to start kegging my beer so i could easliy just buy one of the conversion kits and make the fridge into a kegerator. The problem is that i also want to start to brew lagers and ales in the summer so i need some kind of combo.

I guess the question i have is can i convert the keezer into a kegerator and also use it to brew beers??? With the external thermometer control on a keezer i could adjust the control up to 65 and ferment my ales, but then my kegged beer would get hot???!! I guess i could move my kegged beer to the fridge and just use a picnic spigot while fementing??? Does any of this make sense??

Also, what is the best external thermostat control for the money???

You could always put some insulation in the chest freezer to divide it up into 2 sections...1 for fermenting, 1 for kegging. You could then keep the warmer section cool with a computer fan in the style of the SoF Chiller.

OR...why not make the chest freezer into you keezer, and your fridge into the fermentation temperature control unit? It would only take 2 temp controllers...and not too much effort. Especially for fermenting in the fridge.

I think i will use the fridge for serving now, and when summer gets near go ahead and buy the controller for fermenting. Thanks for the advice. Plus i can aways convert the freezer back if needed during deer season for all my buck stix!!

Back