Adding Peaches to my Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillandCo

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this incase anyone was interested in how it's going to turn out...I got 2 boxes of peaches for free from a chef i know. I puree'd them and after weighing, it came out to roughly 14 + pounds. I'm only going to add 3.5 pounds or so to secondary after it freezes overnight. I'll post pics if anyones wants.

For sanitation...If it turns out good I will post the recipe...usually I brew the same batch a handful of times while tweaking it to preference.

Man I made a peach wheat once with 5.5# of peaches... I never knew how much tartness the peaches would contribute. It went from American Wheat to Berliner Weisse. It also seemed to dry and thin the beer out. Not a great experience. Next time I'll just use the peach or apricot extract.

Hmmm that's good to know...I didnt account for any body loss I did over bitter slightly to balance out the sweetness, maybe I'll need to make a full body beer next time around!

I did not get any extra sweetness... the yeast just sucked that simple sugar up and took it away. The gravity actually decreased by 4 more points, although the volume did increase by a quart so that's probably where that came from.

The extra volume may be an explanation for the lighter body, but I think it was really just a perception thing - the tartness made it seem a lot thinner than it really was.

Do you think I should try to add the peach purée when I keg...I have so much of this stuff it will last me 4-5 batches, when brewing with fruit the method I always thought worked was to add when transferring to secondary...but since this a Liquid form of fruit, doesnt it get mixed with the beer either way? Racking from secondary to keg wont help with removing the beer from the trub/fruit correct....

That's what I figured I'll be adding the peaches to secondary and racking over for one week...I'll post results when finished

Just finished racking to secondary over frozen peach puree...cutting through that stuff is no joke...

Be prepared for some serious blowoff too. Especially since you pureed the peaches. I looked at my notes and saw that I let the secondary fermentation to go for 13 days, then racked to a third carboy just to make sure things had finished up, then bottled 3 days later.

I checked today after racking and i have no airlock activity what so ever, my beer looks clear with peaches at the top and bottom...Not sure if my yeast is multiplying to try and knock out the sugars, or if im not going to get any activity at all...I guess well know after a week and a taste if its a success or failure.

Latest posts

Back