Need Advice from you Wine Experts out there.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Ok, I have an upcoming wedding in a few weeks, and the fiance wants to do an anniversary box: 2 bottles of wine(I'm debating swapping 1 of the wine bottles with a barley wine, or maybe a stout, porter, etc... since I'm more of a beer drinker), 2 wine glasses, we both write a letter to each other, and nail it shut on the wedding day and it doesn't get opened til out 25th anniversary.

She prefers reislings, and wants a reisling to put in, but I'm not sure what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good reisling I could get that would age well. Ideally I'd like something bottled in 2010 that would do well with several years of aging, but I don't think that will be possible as that would be a very young wine and I don't think any good wineries would be bottling up that early. I'm in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area so I have a fairly good selection of liquor stores to choose from, so I'm just looking for some recommendations on a reisling that I could pick up somewhere.

Suggestions?

Rieslings are meant to be drunk young. Even 5 years is a bit old for a Riesling. If she wants a Riesling, say versus a Semilion or another white, then I'd try and track down a Botrytis Riesling from Alsace (FR). This is a dessert wine and could possibly last 25 yrs.

Botrytis, aka Grey Mold, is a fungus that will infect grapes. However, if it appears very late in the season, they will refer to it as Gold Mold. Basically the fungus dehydrates the grapes on the vine. Then they are harvested, pressed and made into wine. This is the same net affect as Ice Wines, where the grapes are allowed to freeze, resulting in a more sugar concentrated juice.

Back