What to you take you hydrometer reading in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
When I was getting my first batch ready on christmas I played with the hydrometer a bit and found that none of the glassware in my house was deep enough for the hydrometer. I took a reading in the bucket but it was difficult to read. should I just get a 12" graduated cylinder?

Most people use the tube the hydrometer came in. Once done taking the reading, make sure you drink it. It's a wonderful thing!

My tube is plastic so I wasn't sure how well that would work. Also I wasn't sure how water tight the tube was.

Next time.

Glass-Hydrometer-Jars-BEN_i_LBM57625.JPG
I just upgraded to this one. I needed a bigger jar for my precision hydrometer. it was about $20 from cynmar. I love it, its a thing of beauty. I have a thing for lab glass.

The plastic tube with one of the ends in is fine. Just be sure that you sanitize it before you dunk it in.

I've found it's easy to fill it up the majority of the way. Then, when you put the hydrometer in (do this in/over the sink) the excess beer is pushed up out of the top and you can get a clean reading by using the very top of the tube because it's completely full.

Back