HOLY HELL final plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After taking some of your sugestions I reworked the recipie for my Holy Hell. I also think I have figured out a strategy for exactly how to get that much malt into 5.5 gallons of beer and not kill off the yeast right off the bat. The initial OG (out of the kettle) will be about 1.065. The IBU's is figured based on the out of the kettle SG. Out of the Kettle SRM is about 48.3. Percentage of each malt is including DME

I will be starting this beer as soon as my Dead Goat Ale is out of the primary (starting Dead Goat Ale on Wednesday). I'll post updates and notes as we go.

ANY additional input would be greatly appreciated. Please check out amounts of Chocholate malt and Special B. I realize that 1.5lbs of each is ALOT however I am anticipating with the amount of malt in this brew and the percentage of the the chocholate and special B in relation to the rest of the recipie I shouldnt run into a problem . . . but I dunno . . .Uncharted territory and all:rockin:

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.190 (est)
Anticipated SRM: 52.8 (est)
Anticipated IBU: 106.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG 13.62 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
49.9 15.00 lbs. Light DME 8
20.0 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) America 71.27 2
6.7 2.00 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 69.19 40
6.7 2.00 lbs. Crystal 30L America 71.27 30
6.7 2.00 lbs. CaraPilsner France 71.27 10
5.0 1.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 58.81 350
5.0 1.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 60.88 120
Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Brewer's Gold Whole 7.00 53.0 60 min.
2.00 oz. Bullion Whole 7.00 40.3 40 min.
2.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 12.8 20 min.
2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Bramling Cross Whole 6.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Notes
-----

Begin fermentation with a wort that would produce a 6-8% beer, and add DME each day during the first 5 days. This can be done together with aeration. This is mandatory if the reported 25% ABV is to be achieved.

Use 2 times the normal nutrient level

• mix in with min amount of water to liquidfy and boil
  • Consider aerating intermittently during the first 5 days of fermentation. This will help yeast cells during a very difficult fermentation. Aerate with oxygen for 30 seconds or air for 5-10 minutes
  • stir in with paint mixer on drill
2oz oak chips in secondary for 6 months

Initial fermentation using Rogue Pacman
repitch WL 099 after couple days

Bottle
in 16oz bottles STILL with cork/wax seal
age 2 years with taste tests at 6,12,18 months

Collect underware
?
Profit

***UPDATES***
13 OCT - Since my Mia Bock Ale (Dead Goat) OG turned out so low cuz I botched the sparge I basicly am using it as a 5 gallon starter. It's fermented out and moved to the secondary. The yeast has been harvested and it looks like I will end up with ATLEAST 1 cup of yeast to turn into a second starter that will get pitched. WL099 wont be available until Nov so on hold until then

Trip home for some HOLY HELL in '08! :mug:

I don't have the patience (nor the basement). Looks good to me Pumbaa. I'm finally going to get around to making some mead this winter; that'll be tough enough for me to wait for.

Stupid little thing, but when it comes time to bottle, I would almost use some little bottles (6oz - 8oz) instead of the 16oz. You aren't going to be drinking a lot of this at once (you also won't "waste" much at the sampling).

This looks like a pretty cool recipe...and one hell of a hangover maker! Sounds like your plan is pretty concrete, but if I were to make a change, I'd halve the amount of chocolate malt. With the WLP099 yeast, the DME should completely ferment, leaving A TON of roasted flavor underneath. FYI, my first 15 gallon recipe is only using 3/4 lb of chocolate...then again, it's an amber, not a deep, dark barley wine. No matter how you brew it, it's bound to turn out very interesting. I bet the fermentation will be absolutely crazy!

the_bird said:
Stupid little thing, but when it comes time to bottle, I would almost use some little bottles (6oz - 8oz) instead of the 16oz. You aren't going to be drinking a lot of this at once (you also won't "waste" much at the sampling).
Pumbaa, This is a good idea from the_bird. Bottle a few in smaller bottles for sampling and that way you'll not waste anything to early. Bottle for the 6,12 & 18 months but a do a few more so if after the initial two year maturation is up you can taste again and see if you want it to age it further - 25% ABV is a monster!!!:D

Back