Fertilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
How often do you guys fertilize and with what.....I just transfered my hops from pots to the ground, about 3 weeks ago.....They are all about 4-5 feet tall, except for one thats 2 feet, not sure what its problem is....

manuer is a slow release fertilizer. everytime you water the plant nutrients will be released to the soil for the roots to absorb. That is all I have used this year and everything is looking good

I got off of the Miracle dust in favor of the Manure and compost. And recently, I have vetured into cover cropping with white clover for the nitrogen.

Occasionally, I'll do a foliar feeding and for a while I'd just use the MG but lately, I have been favoring compost tea. Once growth is considerable, I start the foliar feeds on a monthly basis minimum unless the plants appear to warrant more frequent feeds.

I prefer the foliar feedings as a double header. It feeds the plants (duh) rapidly and allows for pest management through better application control to all surfaces of the leaves with a garden sprayer. the thing about hop pests is, they tend to not like being wet. Occasionally, I'll include some dishsoap in teh feeding mixture to aid in controlling pest if they are a problem.

A lot of the organic commercial growers use fish fertilizer, I use Alaska brand after doing some reading about the production process. I only use it every month or so, both in the ground water and as a foliar spray.

Back