New guy from Cali (pics inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akaryrye

Reaction score
So Ive been interested in brewing for a month or two now and just racked my second brew to secondary. I was going to leave it in the bucket for a week and a half, but found a 5 gallon carboy at a garage sale today and took it home for $20 :cool:

Anyway, my first two brews were:
Summit APA: bottled after 5 days and drank half of it within a week lol (im a curious and thirsty noob)
7lb pale malt extract
1lb crystal 60L
1oz summit (60min)
.75 summit (15min)
.75 Amarillo (15min)
Safale s-04 dry yeast

Amarillo APA, boiled 15 min longer than i meant to on this one so added the summit at the end:
7lb pale malt
1lb honey
.75oz summit (75min)
.5oz amarillo (45min)
.5oz amarillo (30min)
.5oz summit (flameout)

My next two batches will be two $0.50 kits from morebeer.com, the blonde ale and english pale so that will be a bit different from my first two which are nearly IPA in bitterness. So ya I have a few pictures of what is going on:

Amarillo APA in the secondary:
beer007.jpg

Primary and secondary:
beer008.jpg

22qt kettle:
beer010.jpg

Summit APA bottled:
beer011.jpg

Anyway, hello to everyone and I am sure I will be doing this for awhile because I like beer and i like it when I don't have to pay nearly $10 a 12 pack for the stuff I like.

- Ryan

Dude, get that beer out of the sun or wrap the carboy with a towel or something. Sun can react with the hops and cause a skunky flavor.

Welcome aboard!! :mug:

Dude, get that beer out of the sun or wrap the carboy with a towel or something. Sun can react with the hops and cause a skunky flavor.

+1 That's the first thing I was going to tell you. Nice lighting, but the sunlight on your carboy isn't doing your beer any good!

Welcome to HBT!

Welcome aboard!! :mug:

Already covered it up, that was like 5 minutes after racking. After the pictures I moved it and put a shirt over the top:

Oh .. and yes that is seran wrap to cover the top for now as I dont have the proper stopper yet
beer012.jpg

Already covered it up, that was like 5 minutes after racking. After the pictures I moved it and put a shirt over the top:

Oh .. and yes that is seran wrap to cover the top for now as I dont have the proper stopper yet
beer012.jpg

ahhh thank god! the beer is safe. :)

Well, i just bottled my second batch. It was in primary for a week and secondary for a week and a half. I can already tell this one is a lot better because I used less bittering hops and the fermentation temperature was lower (which was probably more important). Put it all into a mix of 4x 32oz, 10x 22oz, and 13 12oz. Those Tecate bottles are awesome!

Ive got stuff for my next 4 batches on the way. Thank you to everyone on this board, I have learned so much. Things are looking good!

Back