Ugh, stupid mistake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked off an IPA today and noticed I had more beer than I should have. I looked at the primary bucket and realized I had filled it to 6 gallons, not 5 in the primary. There's nothing to be lost it letting it age for a bit and giving it a taste, but I suspect I've got a batch of watery garbage.

If you had added too much top off water to a 3% mild brown ale, you might end up with something less that stellar. But a little too much added to an IPA...worst case is you end up with a very nice...upper end APA. :D

How are you going to fit 6 gallons of beer into a 5 gallon keg? Maybe you should brew up 4 gallons of something and do a blended batch?

I spent the afternoon thinking about what to do with that extra gallon. I may get one of those caps to force carb a soda bottle and put it in a couple of them.

I stopped measuring years ago when I realized I was never going to change anything based on the results.

That's my thought process. A little bit of a weak argument if something goes wrong.....but none the less get's the job done.

I'd keep a dozen empty bottles nearby with about 1/2 - 3/4 of a teaspoon (around 2.5 grams) of priming sugar in each one and once your keg is full, just transfer the racking hose over and fill them up. Cap them and store them away indefinitely as emergency beers when your kegging pipeline runs dry.

An IPA like that will age nicely and you can compare a bottle conditioned along side your kegged version.

yeah I always keep some bottles around in case I decide I want to bottle a 6 pack or so from each batch...

I also do have a carbonator (I use it to re-carb 2 liter soda water since I use it so rarely) but I have never used it for beer.

Sounds to me like you have to drink that gallon of beer or it'll go to waste. You know what you must do now....

So I kegged this today and have enough extra to fill two two liter bottles. It smells and tastes good. Like some suggested, it's not an IPA, but it's a decent ale.

Back